List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1075032

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityGrimston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190194

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRIMSTON CHURCH LANE Saxelby SK 72 SW Church of St Peter 5/270 1.1.68 II*

GV Church. C13-C15, restored 1856-7. Ironstone ashlar with ironstone dressings, lead roofs except for Welsh slate roof to chancel. Chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch and W tower 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window with perpendicular tracery, hood mould and label stops of kings head to left, queens head to right. Lancet window to N, similar window to SW with renewed nailhead ornament to hood mould and 2-light window to SE with straight head, ogee-arched heads to lights, hood mould and label stops. Hollow-chamfered and roll-moulded priests door to S with hood mould. Nave has 2-light window to NE with Y tracery, blocked N door with imposts and hood mould and 3- window clerestory of 2-light windows with straight heads, ogee-arched heads to lights and plain stone-coped parapets. S aisle has 3-light E window with foiled intersecting tracery, 4-centred head and hood mould, similar window to SE and 3-light W window with Perpendicular tracery, quatrefoil above central light 4-centred head and hood mould. South door has hollow- chamfered S door with trefoiled spandrels, wave-moulded rectangular surround and hood mould. Porch has C19 roll-moulded doorway and small one-light windows E and W with chamfered stone surrounds. Stoup below E window inside porch. 3-stage W tower has 2-light window to bottom stage W with cinquefoil-headed lights and hood mould, 1-light window to middle stage S and 2-light bell-chamber openings with cusped lights, quatrefoil to head and hood moulds. Cusped lozenge frieze to base of battlemented parapet with gargoyles to angles. Recessed crocketed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions. Tower has off-set clasping buttresses. Off-set buttresses to angles of aisle and diagonal offset buttresses to chancel Tower and aisle have deep limestone ashlar plinth with chamfers to base and top, and moulded string at intermediate level. Plain stone-coped parapets to porch, aisle and chancel. Interior: Chancel arch has polygonal responds, chamfered capitals and double-chamfered arches. Nave has 4-bay S arcade with circular piers, semi-circular responds, circular moulded capitals that to SW pier with nailhead ornament, others with stylised leaves, and double-chamfered arches. Font - Octagonal with quatrefoils to sides, castellated top and attached shafts to base. Pulpit - Late C15/early C16, polygonal with elaborate pierced tracery to top of panels which retain traces of original painted leaf-trail decoration. Monuments: Incised alabaster slab with effigy of knight - Robert Brokesby d.1531. Slate wall monument with shaped top to William Stephens d 1681. apron inscribed Step. Staveley Melton fecit and limestone bracket with winged cherubs head on ball. Slate wall monument with shaped top to William Stevens d.1755 with winged hourglass to apron encircled by serpent biting its tail and flanked by trumpets. Limestone wall plague, pedimented, recording gift of land by Rev. Rebel Kirkby 1779. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p.368.

Listing NGR: SK7006720967

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 368

National Grid Reference: SK 70067 20967

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:44:19.