List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1075029

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, SCALFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityEaton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190185

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 7728 EATON SCALFORD ROAD (East side) Eastwell 37/354 Church of St Michael 1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C13, altered C14. Ironstone with limestone dressings. Lead roofs to nave and aisles, pantiles to chancel and south porch, the latter of late C20 concrete variety. 3 stage west tower, externally of 4 stages divided by string-coursed set-offs. Lancet west window below niche. 2-light restored early Decorated belfry windows below limestone crenellated parapet. Cusped 3-light late C14 north aisle windows under straight heads: 2 to flank, one each to east and west ends. South aisle with one wide lancet east of gabled porch. 2-light Decorated east window to aisle. 3 2- light clerestory windows of same date and type as north aisle. 2 2-light arched chancel south windows, one reticulated, the other with internal ogee. 3-light reticulated east chancel window. No windows to north chancel. Interior. 3-bay arcade supported on circular piers to south, quatrefoil piers to north. The former with waterholding bases, moulded circular capitals with nailhead decoration and double chamfered arches. The latter have moulded bases and polygonal moulded capitals and also double chamfered arches. Nave roof of ties supported on arched braces and wall posts dropping to corbels. Spurs rise to moulded ridge piece. 2 moulded purlins. Stone C14 chancel screen extended up to roof by plastered walling: arched central doorway and to each side one 3-light ogeed window under straight heads. Rustic C16 chancel roof: ties support Queen posts rising to collars, 3 tiers butt purlins and curved windbracing. An arch in chancel wall contains stone effigy of a priest, c. 1325. South-west nave pier respond has brass inscription panel in memory of Elizabeth Healey, 1680.

Listing NGR: SK7749828489

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 77498 28489

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 11:12:01.