List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EGELWIN THE MARTYR

List entry Number: 1075018

Location

CHURCH OF ST EGELWIN THE MARTYR, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityScalford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190262

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SCALFORD CHURCH STREET (North side) SK 76 24 -7724 Church of St Egelwin the 24/373 Martyr. 1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C15. Tower rebuilt 1639; Chancel rebuilt 1845. Restored 1858 by Millican and Smith. Chancel, S chancel chapel/organ chamber, aisled nave, S porch and W tower. Coursed ironstone rubble and ashlar, with limestone dressings, lead roof, except for Welsh slate roof to chancel. 2-bay chancel of ashlar has 4-light Perpendicular-style E window and 2.-light windows N and S with trefoil- headed lights all with hood moulds. Chancel has datestone of 1845 above E window, offset angle buttresses and offset buttresses between S windows and stone-coped E gable with kneelers and stone cross to apex. Former chancel chapel, now organ chamber, continues N aisle and has 3-light E window with intersecting tracery and 2- light window to N with 4-centred head and transom, both with hood moulds. Nave has 5-window clerestory of 3-light windows with 4-centred heads, Perpendicular tracery and hood moulds, and battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles to E angles. N aisle has 3-light window to NE with intersecting tracery, a 3-light window to middle of N wall with pointed trefoil-headed side lights flanking lancet-shaped central light, a 2-light window to NW with quatrefoil to head and 1-light W window with C19 Decorated-style tracery. S aisle has battlemented parapet. 3-light E and W windows with intersecting tracery and 2-light windows to S, that to SE with quatrefoil in circle to head, the other two with encircled trefoils to heads. S door has continuous hollow chamfer outermost, shafts and roll- moulded arch innermost. Large S porch, formerly 2-storied with parvise and doorway with continuous chamfer outermost, semi-circular responds innermost with moulded capitals and hood mould with label stops. 3 inches above doorway with crocketed nodding ogee canopies and continuous sill with foliage decoration. Porch is flanked by off-set buttresses to outer angles which have niches to upper section with crocketed nodding ogee canopies and pointed trefoils to gablets above. 3-stage tower has moulded W door with basket-arched head and hood mould. 3-light window above has 3 lights, Perpendicular tracery, brattished transom and hood mould. Datestone to S side below middle stage window with coat of arms and date 1639. 2- light windows to middle stage with Y tracery and Ogee-arched hood moulds. 2-light paired bell-chamber openings with brattishing transoms and hood moulds. Offset clasping buttresses, and cusped lozenge frieze to base of battlemented parapet which has gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles to angles. Interior: Triple-chamfered chancel arch, polygonal responds and capitals with stiff-leaf foliage and heads between them. Nave has 5-bay arcades with circular piers with circular abaci, semi-circular responds, double-chamfered arches, capitals with stiff-leaf foliage to N and moulded capitals to S. Former N chancel chapel has trefoil-headed piscina. Two tomb recesses in N aisle with ballflower Ornament, the outermost cut by polygonal respond of arch between aisle and chapel. S aisle has trefoil-headed piscina. Tall double-chamfered tower arch, chamfer continuous outermost polygonal responds innermost. Circular C19 alabaster and marble font with terracotta plaques. Clock mechanism of 1750, mounted in S aisle.

Monuments: Brass of 1520 with kneeling gentleman and indent for his wife. Brass plaque in chancel to Elizabeth Bardsey d.1624. Brass plaque in S aisle with coat of arms to Edward Darker d.1651. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p. 368.9.

Listing NGR: SK7629724129

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984 - Page References: 368-9

National Grid Reference: SK 76297 24129

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:54:05.