List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1074988

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CROXTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthoritySproxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190288

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8427-8527 SPROXTON CROXTON ROAD (East side) Saltby 36/59 Church of St Peter 1.1.68 II*

Parish church. C13 west tower, early C14 nave and chancel, reworked in C15 and chancel further remodelled during 1885 restoration. Ironstone with limestone dressings. Parapets hide roofs, but probably lead. Unbuttressed 3-stage tower with lancet west window and lancets to north and south sides of ringing chamber. Limestone late C14 belfry stage with louvred 2-light cusped windows. Plain parapet with 4 corner pinnacles. Perpendicular gabled south porch with double chamfered entrance arch. To left one 2- light panel tracery window. To right one 4-light tall panel tracery window. Blocked north nave door and one 3-light Perpendicular window to east. 3 2-light late C19 Flowing chancel south windows and 3-light reticulated east window. Blocked chancel north door to east of a brick organ chamber. Interior. Triple chamfered tower arch with 2 orders of shafts carrying moulded capitals. Above is blocked east window tower. 5 bay nave roof of canted tie beams on solid arched braces dropping on wall posts to stone head corbels. Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded butt purlins. Plain C13 drum font on hexagonal stem. Double chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds and with polygonal moulded capitals. Chancel with double chamfered C19 arch leading into organ chamber recess to north. Roof of canted tie beams on arched braces with traceried spandrels. Wall posts to corbels. Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded butt purlins. Crenellated wall plate. This all 1885. Bench sedilia and cusped piscina similarly of 1885.

Listing NGR: SK8513326553

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 85133 26553

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2014 at 10:00:30.