List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1074871

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityOwston and Newbold

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190606

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OWSTON

SK 70 NE MAIN STREET (West Side)

2/78 Church of St. Andrew

29.12.66

GV I

Parish church, fragment of former Priory. Partially 013 or earlier, with some early C14 and Perpendicular features, conservatively restored in 1861. Square and finely coursed ironstone rubble with white limestone dressings and some ashlar work. Unusual plan partially accounted for by its history; nave, chancel and north aisle virtually a single space, though aisle is roofed separately. This was the chancel of the priory church. Tower forming porch on north west angle, circa 1300 buttressed and of two stages, with embattled parapet and paired trefoiled lights to bell chamber. Short recessed spire. North doorway with three shafts. In west wall of aisle one single splayed lancet and former steeper roofline visible. Nave itself also buttressed to west and with coped parapet with finial, 3-light trefoiled window set in a recess marked by white ashlar dressings, which also form two string courses. South wall very high with windows set high up in a slightly projecting section of masonry marked off by string courses above and below the windows. Parapet above. Buttresses, that to west decorated with blank traceried panels. East and west windows in Decorated style, with triple quatrefoiled lights, the central window Perpendicular, three square headed lights. The east window is Victorian in a late Decorated style, five lights with reticulated tracery forming 3 wheels or roses. Small doorway to aisle with squared hood mould and two memorial tablets above it, one 1755, the inscription plate flanked by Corinthian pilasters adorned with floral motifs and capped by a scrolly broken pediment. Buttressed north aisle with Perpendicular windows. Parapet with gargoyles. Tower forms north porch and the inner doorway is set in a triple arched opening, rounded inner arch, stiff leaf capitals to middle shaft with outer hoodmould with corbel heads. Way above this and advanced slightly to form a recess between south wall of tower and north wall of aisle is another archway. Inside one massive space, subdivided only by an arcade of two bays with wide and very lofty double chamfered arches on round piers with roll moulded capitals. Windows in south wall set very high up, and over the central light, traces of a round headed archway, blocked. Blocked south door with round arched head. To the east the masonry is disrupted suggesting that this wall is not a single build. C19 roof; tie beam and king post construction. North door has unusual fretwork to inner face, roughly shaped lattice work resembling branches nailed to the door. Tomb recess of c1300 in north wall with fleurons and ornate finials. Various C18 wall memorial tablets on north and east walls of aisle. Chancel distinguished only by being raised up two Victorian steps. Victorian fittings including simply chamfered altar rails. Most other fittings are of a piece with these, including pews and pulpit. The font is also Victorian, octagonal basin with simple geometric motif on each side, supported on a chamfered squared base. Victorian stained glass of particular quality in the west window with scenes from the life of St. John the Baptist, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne .

The Church represents a fragment of the Augustinian Priory founded by Robert Grimbald sometime before 1161.

Listing NGR: SK7744607964

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 77446 07964

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 03:38:52.