List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1074849

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityGaulby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190659

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GAULBY SK 60 SE 5/3 29.12.66 Church of St. Peter

GV II*

Church. C16 chancel, rest 1741. By John Wing the Elder, of Leicester, for William Fortrey. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with stone dressings and leaded roof, with parapet to nave. Stone coped gables. W tower, nave, chancel and S porch. Tower of 3 stages in Gothic form but mainly with classical details. Plinth, clasping buttresses, W round-arched doorway with keystone and imposts and 2-leaved 5-panelled door with panelled semicircle over. Semicircular windows to N and S. Bull's eye windows and clock face on 2nd stage. Over this a running band frieze and cornice band. 4 tall round-arched bell-openings, the key stones being linked to the cornice above. Parapet with cornice rising at the corners and 4 obelisks in the middle and 4 corner pinnacles : fluting, volutes and pagoda-like tops, similar to tulip vases. The nave has buttresses with set-offs and 3 3-light Late Perp. style windows either side. Hood moulds, transoms and cusped lights. Rounded tower arch to nave. 5 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. Double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel with N window and C18 N door. Late Perp. 5-light E window with stained glass of 1844. S window, piscina, and blocked window. 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. S porch to nave has flat roof and round-arched doorway with keystone and imposts. 2-leaved 5-panelled door and 2-pane fanlight. Inside are marble baluster font, the upper part of former 2-decker pulpit,restored C18 oak communion rail with turned balusters and wall monument of 1728. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6949101065

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

National Grid Reference: SK 69491 01065

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 04:20:21.