List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1074823

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityHungarton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190700

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUNGARTON SK 60 NE CHURCH LANE (East Side) 2/38 29.12.66 Church of St. John the Baptist

GV II*

Church. C14/C15, restored C19. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar tower and leaded, part parapetted, roofs. W tower and spire, nave, chancel, S aisle and S porch. Buttresses, including diagonal and angle, all with set-offs. Stone coped gables with finials. Windows mostly have hood moulds. C14 tower of 3 stages with plinth, angle buttresses, W window with C19 stained glass, small 1-lights to SW stair, clock face to W and 4 2-light bell openings. Above is a frieze with fleurons, heads and central gargoyles, then battlements and recessed crocketted spire with small quatrefoil lucarnes. Inside is a triple chamfered arch to nave. Nave has 3 large Perp. N windows. Transoms and four-centred heads. Cusped lights. 2 have stained glass, of 1937, and 1867. C 14 4 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Perp. clerestory with 4 2-light windows on S side. C19 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. Double chamfered chancel arch. C14 chancel has windows with restored Curvilinear tracery. Stained glass of 1856-7. S door. C19 3 bay roof similar to nave. Squint from S aisle. S aisle has Perp. E window and S and W windows with restored Curvilinear tracery. 1 S window with stained glass of 1822, rest with mid or later C19 stained glass. S door with double chamfered arch. C15 S porch with many moulded doorway. Holy water niche to right and small niche (with later statue) over. Inside are C15 parclose screen to Ashby Chapel in S aisle, square Norman font decorated with concentric lozenges, 6 hatchments, and wall monuments. These include those to G. Ashbie, 1653; Dorothy Ashby, 1681; Shuckburgh Ashby 1792, by Thomas Banks; and Francis Cave de Baggrave, 1568 and wife. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877 and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6909907277

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)
'Whites Directory' in Leicestershire and Rutland, (1877)

National Grid Reference: SK 69099 07277

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:06:15.