List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

List entry Number: 1074810

Location

NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 2, ST MARTINS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of LeicesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188794

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 5804 SE ST MARTINS (South side) 718/3/333 Number 2, 14.03.1975 National Westminster Bank

GV II*

Bank. 1900-1902. By S. Perkin Pick, principal architect of Everard & Pick of Leicester, for Pares's Bank. Sculpture by CJ Allen et al, and plasterwork by GP Bankart. Single storey addition to right return, in the same style, c.1950, and further additions and alterations later C20. Portland stone ashlar with granite plinth and Welsh slate roofs. Baroque Revival style. Rusticated ground floor. Modillion cornice and pierced balustrade. Windows are mainly original glazing bar sashes. Cubic central block, 2 storeys, 1/3/1 bays. Lower side ranges, also 2 storeys, the left range splayed. Single storey addition at rear of right range. Later C20 addition to left range is not of special interest. Entrance front has projecting central round-arched doorway in rusticated coved surround with segmental arched cornice, flanked by elaborate wrought iron lamp standards. Half-glazed double door and fanlight. Beyond, single windows. Above, Giant Ionic paired columns in antis flanked by frieze of classical figures in relief. In the central recess, a 3-light rusticated window with flanking elliptical windows with keyblocks. The columns support a heavy entablature with balustered parapet and modillion cornice. Projecting end bays, topped with domed turrets with Tuscan columns, have single small windows and above, tall windows with broken pediments and cartouches. Outside, wrought iron area railings across the frontage. Left return, to Hotel Street, is a symmetrical composition, 5 windows. Ground floor has 7 windows. 2-storey centrepiece incorporates a tripartite ground floor window with rusticated surround, and above, a pedimented round arched window with rusticated Ionic columns on consoles in the form of angels and flanked by female figures. Right return to Greyfriars, 6 windows, is also symmetrical, with slightly projecting terminal pavilions. In the centre, 4 windows with rusticated surrounds and keystones. Above, 4 windows set between paired Ionic 3/4 columns in antis. Pedimented pavilions have single corniced first-floor windows flanked by rusticated Ionic columns on consoles. Single storey addition has 5 windows with rusticated surrounds. INTERIOR: Half-panelled square banking hall has shallow dome and central skylight surrounded by zodiacal symbols. On each side, coffered round arches, each containing 3 smaller round arched recesses. At the front, a tripartite window with projecting surround, flanked by oval windows. At the rear, 3 tall round arched windows, and above, a 5-light window. Similar 5-light windows on each side. All these windows have non-figurative stained glass. Manager's office has glazed wooden screen and door with fluted columns. Open-well main staircase has turned balusters and panelled square newels topped with urns. First floor officials' landing has round arches and skylights and original doorcases and doors. Concrete service staircases at rear, one spiral, one dogleg. Basement strongrooms have fireproof concrete and steel construction. This building is a good provincial example of Baroque Revival commercial architecture, and demonstrates the increasing scale of commercial operations in Leicester at the start of the C20.









Listing NGR: SK5862204409

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 58622 04409

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 04:22:06.