List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1074704

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireBlabyDistrict AuthorityStoney Stanton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189042

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STONEY STANTON off NEW ROAD SP 49 SE (north side)

3/52 Church of St. Michael 7.10.57 II*

Parish church. Late C14 and C15; chancel and south aisle 1842, to the designs of H. Goddard; south aisle extended 1882 to form organ chamber; north aisle and vestry 1888, to the designs of W. Bassett Smith; south porch 1910. Random granite rubble and dressed stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower with spire, nave with clerestorey, north aisle, north porch, vestry, chancel, south aisle, organ chamber, south porch. West tower, 4 stages, has chamfered plinth, moulded band, 3 string courses, coved eaves cornice with gargoyles, and crenellated parapet. 4 clasping buttresses and set back octagonal spire with finial and weathercock and a pair of lucarnes to east and west with a smaller upper pair to north and south. The lower pair have Y travery. The first stage has to west a restored double lancet with geometrical tracery, hood mould and mask stops. Second stage has on 3 sides a quatrefoil light. Third stage has to south, a clock. Fourth stage has on each side a C14 style double lancet bell opening with quatrefoil head, hood mould and mask stops. Clerestorey, 1842, has coved eaves band, moulded parapet and coped gable with cross, and square corner stack. To north 3 double lancets with Y tracery and to south 4 double lancets with 4 centred arched heads, all with hood moulds and mask stops. North aisle, 4 bays, has moulded sill band, coved eaves and moulded parapet. 3 buttresses to north plus a diagonal buttress at each end, all with setoffs. West end has an ogee triple lancet with reticulated tracery. North side has to east of the porch, 2 Decorated double lancets and to west, a single similar double lancet. All the windows have hood moulds. North porch has coped gable with kneelers and finial and a pair of flanking buttresses. Moulded and rebated doorway with responds and hood mould. In each side, a single lancet. Interior has stone benches, common rafter roof and roll moulded inner doorway with hood mould. Vestry has sill band, moulded eaves and coped parapet, single diagonal buttress. Shouldered north doorway has above it a re-set C11 tympanum with an allegorical scene. To its right a C19 Geometrical lancet with hood mould. To east, 2 C19 single lancets with hood moulds and stops. Chancel, 2 bays, has partial C20 plinth, coved eaves and moulded coped gable with cross. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses and a C19 Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould, mask finial and stops. Below it, an ornate slate headstone, to the Rev. J. Bold, 1751, and another slate headstone, 1874. South side has to west, a moulded Geometrical double lancet with hood mould and mask stops. South aisle and organ chamber, 5 bays, has chamfered plinth, coved eaves and moulded parapet. South side has 4 buttresses plus a diagonal buttress at each end, all with setoffs. South side has an off-centre porch flanked to left by a moulded Geometrical double lancet with hood mould, and to east of the porch, 2 similar windows. East and west ends have each a similar window. The south porch is identical to the north porch, with roll moulded inner doorway with hood mould and 2 leaf plank door. Interior has C14 moulded tower arch with responds with moulded bases. Tower west window has fragments of stained glass in the west window. Nave has mid C14 north arcade, 4 bays, with octagonal piers and responds and double chamfered and rebated arches. Similar south arcade, C19, has piers without bases. Moulded clerestorey openings. Arch braced and traceried single purlin kingpost roof, 1842. North aisle has west window with stained glass, 1875, and central north side window with stained glass, 1975. East end has a late C19 chamfered and rebated archway with responds and wooden screen. To its right, angled stairway to rood loft, with C20 door and a stoup to its left. Arch braced roof with traceried spandrels, 1888. South aisle east end has a C19 arch similar to that in the north aisle. All the windows have patterned glass. Restored C15 roof with cambered chamfered tie beams. Chancel has a restored double chamfered and rebated arch with mask impost corbels. C19 Perpendicular style traceried screen with ogee central opening. To the left, a double chamfered doorway to the rood stair. On either side of the chancel a central C19 chamfered and rebated archway with responds and hood mould, to the vestry and the organ chamber. The east end has a traceried panelled oak dado, early C20, with a ramped top and fluted corner posts. Stained glass east window, C19. Traceried scissor braced roof with wall posts on foliate corbels. Fittings include octagonal painted ashlar font with traceried panelled stem, quatrefoil panelled bowl and triple shafts at the corners. Conical C18 cover. Solid hewn C13 oak chest, approx. two and a half metres long. Royal Arms, George III, on board. C19 traceried stalls and desks with shaped ends, plain benches, octagonal oak pulpit, and 3 benefaction boards. Early C20 wooden lectern, altar table and curtain posts. Memorials includea re-set slate headstone, 1760, and 4 similar re-set stones. Scrolled slate and alabaster wall tablet with urn, 1778. Crested slate tablet by Firmadge of Leicester, 1771. Classical slate tablet, early C19, by Low of Leicester. Crested square alabaster and marble war memorial tablet, 1919.

Listing NGR: SP4895594789

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 48955 94789

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 06:39:21.