List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL AND RUINS OF MANSION

List entry Number: 1074677

Location

CHAPEL AND RUINS OF MANSION

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthorityNewtown Linford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189075

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTOWN LINFORD BRADGATE PARK SK 51 SW 3/24 Chapel and ruins of mansion 1.6.66 GV II* Chapel and ruins of mansion begun c1490. Diapered red brick with stone dressings. Chapel has brick plinth with stone moulding, moulded stone band, brick dentilled eaves and renewed Swithland slate roof, gable facing. In gable end a large 6 x 4 leaded light mullion and transom window with hood mould. 2 blocked windows left side. Inside 2 arched cross beams, bricked floor, 1719 slate floor slab, and fine alabaster tomb, possibly restored, of Henry Baron Grey of Groby, d. 1614, and his wife Ann. Recumbent effigies. Tomb-chest in recess, flanked by columns and carrying an entablature with achievement and supporters. Strapwork decoration. Surrounding chapel the mansion ruins with 4 towers, 1 square, 3 polygonal, and 3 remaining to 2 storey height. 1 wall of Great Hall remains with stone moulded frames of large windows. Mansion begun and mostly built by Thomas Grey, 1st Marquis of Dorset, great grandfather of Lady Jane Grey, whose childhood home this was. In 1547 Sir William Cavendish and Bess of Hardwick married in chapel. The park setting is a very impressive example of the ancient form of deer park with hills, gnarled and knotted trees and a stream running through its valley centre. Scheduled ancient monument. Plan in Forsyth, M., The History of Bradgate, Bradgate Park Trust, Leicester, 1974.

Listing NGR: SK5342610174

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Forsyth, M, The History of Bradgate, (1974)
Other
Part 26 Leicestershire,

National Grid Reference: SK 53426 10174

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 01:38:38.