List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY IN THE ELMS

List entry Number: 1074611

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY IN THE ELMS, FOREST ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthorityWoodhouse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189216

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODHOUSE FOREST ROAD (East Side) SK 51 NW 1/160 Church of St. Mary in the Elms 1.6.66

GV II*

Church of C15, C17 and C19. Granite and slate rubble stone and dressed stone and Swithland slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. Moulding band beneath nave window sills. W. tower; nave and chancel under one roof; N. aisle and S. porch and S.W. vestry. Tower of 3 stages, lower part of c1450 with upper part and tall pyramid roof of 1844 and later C19. W. arch to nave. W. lancet with C19 stained glass. Flat topped 1-light window on 2nd stage S. wall. Small 2 storey N.W. extension. 3 2-light flat topped bell openings and rubble stone stack with ashlar flue on E. side above nave roof. Gilded weathercock on roof. Nave walls partly of C15 with buttresses and on S. side 7 C17 2-light windows with cambered lintels. Mainly C19 stained glass (one window 1845 by Warrington), but fragments of heraldic glass of 1450. N. aisle of 1878 with 2 bay arcade: double chamfered arches onto circular pier. 4 windows, three with stained glass of 1943, 1928 and 1892. Further C17 2-light on N. wall of chancel with further fragments of 1450 stained glass. 5-light Perp E. window renewed 1858 with stained glass by Hedgeland. Hood mould and label stops outside. C19 triple purlin roof with collars and struts covers nave and chancel. C19 S. porch and C19 SW vestry possibly C17 in part. Blocked S. door to chancel. Pulpit of 1615 with tall back panel; C18 and C19 wall monuments; possibly medieval font; linenfold panelling in chancel brought in, partly C16/C17. In N. aisle organ screen are 4 fragments of C16 wood carving, one dated 1597.

Listing NGR: SK5385015150

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 53850 15150

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 10:27:50.