List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1074609

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthorityWoodhouse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189212

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODHOUSE CHURCH HILL (West Side) SK 51 SW 3/156 WOODHOUSE EAVES Church of St. Paul

GV II*

Church of 1837 and 1880. By W. Railton with transepts and other minor alterations by Ewan Christian. Granite and slate rubble stone and dressed stone with Swithland slate roof and stone coped gables with kneelers. W. tower and door, nave, transepts and chancel with S.W. and S.E. vestries. In lancet style with plinth, stepped buttresses and hood moulds with foliage label stops. W. tower of 3 stages. Some rebuilding 1903. W. door with double chamfered arch, double lancet above with C19 stained glass. Metal clock dial over and triple lancet bell- openings on each face with parapet and pinnacles. 2 blank lancet slits on N. and S. faces and further clock dial on N. face. Inside, between tower and nave,door with glazed iron grille at 1st stage level. Nave has 3 lancets either side with late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Roof of 5 bays of false hammer-beam collar-truss type on battlemented stone corbels. N. and S. transept 2 bay arcades with double chamfered arches on circular piers. 4 lancets and small W. door to N. and 3 lancets to S. with openwork timber roofs. Stained glass of c1880. Moulded chancel arch with hood mould and label stops. Either side of arch supported by small marble column on fluted corbel. 2 lancets to N.side of chancel & 1 to S. with organ arch. Stained glass of late C19 and early C20. E. window of 3 coupled lancets, centre taller, with marble columns and foliage capitals. Fine C19 stained glass. Wagon roof and 6-light brass chandelier. Coloured floor tiles probably Minton in chancel and head of nave. Contemporary font, carved pulpit, brass lectern and pews. S.W. vestry with gabled roof, S.E. of 1910, flat roofed with parapet. Fine prominent position on rocky outcrop.

Listing NGR: SK5316714080

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 53167 14080

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2014 at 07:34:08.