List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1074589

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthorityBarrow upon Soar

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189267

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 51 NE BARROW UPON SOAR CHURCH STREET 3/1 Church of the Holy Trinity 1.6.66 GV II*

Large parish church, medieval in plan and in much of interior, externally 'Victorian following a restoration and rebuilding (chancel, 1862, west tower and thorough restoration, 1870). West tower, nave with 2 aisles, and clerestory,transepts and chancel. Pink random granite rubble with white sandstone dressings, south porch and clerestory faced in sandstone. West tower has 2 principal stages, buttressed, and capped by thin corner pinnacles above a decorative frieze. 2-light openings to bell-chamber with heavy tracery. Large clock on south face below. Large south porch with embattled parapet and heavy gargoyles. Church parapetted throughout, and buttressed - the buttresses also have white stone dressings and copings to gabled and trefoiled tops. Various types of window tracery: clerestory is perpendicular, aisle windows a late decorated style, with reticulated curves. All windows have hoodmoulds terminating in large and massy foliate corbels. Chancel has a different and distinctive decorative scheme: buttresses have small projecting grotesque carvings, decorative frieze (foliage, beasts etc) below parapet and a later decorated window tracery pattern, with spare tracery lines. Interior has nave arcade of 4 bays, with double chamfered arches on round piers, late C13. Easternmost piers have 4 shafts and relate to C14 building of transepts (existing transepts are C19). Perpendicular clerestory and nave roof - low pitched cambered trusses with traceried panels, supported on angel brackets, and with gilded bosses. Large chancel has fine carved choir stalls (1918), turned C17 altar rails, and an ornate stone reredos, representing the Last Supper, heavily undercut, also sedilia, 1884. Chancel roof a plain timber low-pitched structure, with decorated cambered trusses and cornice. East window, a memorial to various C17 local figures is by Powell and Co., 1890. So is the stained glass window in the south aisle, C1929. Chancel contains memorial to Theophilus Cave, d. 1656, in mannerist style with well-turned epigram. In south transept, a memorial to Martha Utber, 1745, a kneeling female figure at a prie-dieu in a surround with pilasters, broken pediment and arms.

Listing NGR: SK5764617577

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 57646 17577

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:04:28.