List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRESTWOLD HALL

List entry Number: 1074562

Location

PRESTWOLD HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthorityPrestwold

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189312

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 52 SE PRESTWOLD PRESTWOLD HALL 1/54 Prestwold Hall 9.7.51

GV I

Hall, now largely as remodelled by William Burn in 1842-4 but incorporating a mid C18 H-plan house which influenced Burn's plan and choice of style, and possibly fragments of something earlier still. Prestwold is of interest as one of Burn's earlier English commissions, and one of his few houses in a classical style. All that is now visible is his work, in an elegantly wrought classical. The earlier brick house has been replaced and extended using Ancaster stone, ashlar throughout with angle quoins, sill courses and a modillion eaves cornice with balustraded parapets. The entrance (west) front is 3 storeys, 3-3-3, with the central bays recessed. In the centre is a projecting porte cochere, Roman Doric with 4 columns, triglyph frieze and cornice. Beneath this a doorway and pair of flanking windows with moulded stone aprons, all with semi circular arched heads. The central 1st floor windows of the projecting outer bays have pediments supported on consoles, and the ground floor windows have consoles supporting sills, and moulded aprons. All windows are sashes in shouldered architraves. To the left, a Doric collonade leads to the return wall of the stable yard and its entrance, ashlar, a shallow arch with projecting keystone, cornice and balustraded parapet above. The flanking wall is relieved by projecting pilasters, and a plain frieze and cornice.

Garden front, 3 storeys, 2-3-3-3. Sash windows with shouldered architraves. Outer 3 bays have full height segmental arched windows to ground floor. A conservatory fills the recessed central 3 bays, and projects slightly. Glass between elegant Doric pilasters, a cornice breaking forward over each one. Glass and iron roof. The central 1st floor window above has a pediment supported on consoles. 2nd floor windows are all on consoles.

East front was a completely new addition by Burn. 1 bay of ashlar with tripartite windows to each floor, full height on ground floor, and then 4 bays of painted brickwork with stone architraves to windows, solid parapet and panelled ashlar chimneys flush with wall face.

Internally, the finest room is the entrance hall with richly coloured marble walls and coffered ceiling painted in imitation-of Raphael's Vatican groteques, with arabesques etc., and incorporating miniature landscapes showing the house before and after restoration. Below are small medallion busts of the poets. An arcade opens on to a vaulted corridor leading to a top lit inner hall, these spaces also marbled. Other rooms include the library, drawing room and dining room, which all have plaster cornices, light plaster panelled ceilings, fine doorcases, and marble fireplaces. Doors and bookcases in library, 1875, Gillows. The cantilevered stone staircase survives from the C18 house, given its bracketted brass balusters by Wilkins, c1805. There is much concealed use of constructional cast iron in the house, for instance to support the lantern of the inner hall.

To the rear (North) of the house the service wing extends, forming one range of the stable courtyard. By Burn, who was noted for his skilfull planning and arrangements for the discreet and efficient,servicing of country houses, extended c1890. 2 storeys. Brick with slate roofs. Various doors and window openings with gauged brick heads, some altered.

See: Mark Girouard: The Victorian Country hose, 1975 pp138-42 Country Life, April 1959 pp828, 890, 948.

Listing NGR: SK5791921470

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Girouard, M - Title: The Victorian Country House - Date: 1971
  2. Article  Reference - Title: April - Date: 1959 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 828 890
  3. Article  Reference - Title: April - Date: 1959 - Journal Title: Country Life
  4. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 26 Leicestershire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SK 57919 21470

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 04:45:11.