List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1074561

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthorityPrestwold

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189311

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 52 SE PRESTWOLD PRESTWOLD HALL 1/53 Church of St. Andrew 1.6.66 II*

Medieval parish church largely rebuilt 1890 by Sir A. Blomfield. Mainly of random rubble with ashlar dressings but with some coursed rubble walling to S wall of chancel. Late C14 buttressed west tower with 4 principal stages, 2-light traceried openings to bell chamber, west door and 2-light traceried window above, with corbel heads to hoodmould, decorated frieze below embattled parapet. Nave of 4 bays, all of 1890, random rubble with sandstone dressings, curvilinear tracery to windows, that to SE having a stilted arch. Chancel retains much medieval masonry, showing 2 builds in S wall, and a 2-light reticulated traceried window with shafts, and a blocked wide lancet window. 1 Victorian Y-tracery lancet, and S door and east wall and window of 1890.

Interior very plain and all of 1890 but there is a fine collection of memorials of the Packe family and their predecessors, in the Chancel, including two late C15 alabaster tomb chests with bedesmen and angels. One has an incised slab commemorating Sir Richard Nele and Isabel his wife, 1476, the other has 2 recumbent unknown female figures. Wall tomb to Sir William Skipwith and Jane his wife, 1631, a large recessed monument in various marbles, a double tomb within aedicule, the 2 recumbent figures lie on different levels, ornate, mannerist style. Monument to Christopher Packe of Cotes, d1682 the 1st Packe to acquire the hall, in 1653, a semi-reclining figure on a tomb chest with inscription, pediment etc. above, in Baroque style. Charles Hussey Packe, d1842 aged 15, a marble recumbent child figure by Westmacott jr., and various other memorials by noted C18 and C19 sculptors.

The Church is of interest for being almost the sole reminder of the medieval village of Prestwold, destroyed in the enclosure of the estate and it is noteworthy that a previous restoration of 1743 had provided the Church with a nave in the classical style, with round headed windows, oculi and a south door in architrave. Photographs of this building survive in the Church, showing also the high pews, gallery and double decker pulpit, but no traces of any of this survive in the fabric.

Listing NGR: SK5778221444

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 26 Leicestershire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SK 57782 21444

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 11:58:53.