List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1074513

Location

THE OLD HALL, COPPICE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthorityQueniborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189509

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

QUENIBOROUGH SK 61 SW COPPICE LANE (East Side) 3/45 The Old Hall 1.6.66 II* Large house 1675-6. Brick on cobble plinth with Swithland slate roof. Originally an H-plan house, but now lacking the front right-hand wing, and with a central wing added to the front elevation in the C19. 2 storeys with attics, left hand gabled wing with 8-light wood mullioned and transomed windows to ground and 1st floors, 2-light casement in attic. Dated in gable apex, 1676 with initials B over T.E. Adjoining this, and advanced slightly, is the later gabled wing, also with wood mullioned and transomed windows. Recessed to its right one bay of the original central section contains a 6-light mullioned and transomed window to the ground floor, 4-lights above. Refronted gable replacing former wing to right with door in wood architrave wood mullioned and transomed window above. Decorative cyma moulded brick bands form string course and arches over ground and 1st floor windows in the original sections of the facade, and are then continuous across side and rear of the house. Massive brick central stacks, and on end gable. Original H-plan retained on rear elevation. Symetrical outer gables with decorative brick bands rising over 4-light mullioned and transomed windows on ground and 1st floors, and forming hoodmould to attic-window. Central section recessed but also gabled, 2 decorative brick arches to each floor, those on ground floor unrelated to the single large mullioned and transomed window. Doorway to right. Date in right hand gable apex, 1675 with initials B over T.E. Interior has various beamed rooms, 1 with inglenook and 2 original newel staircases with turned balusters. Massive roof timbers with windbraces etc. Lower service wing projects to left of front elevation, joined to the main house by a C19 addition, but itself probably late C17 or early C18. Brick, with Swithland slate roof. Former stables to left with 3 partially blocked doors and 3 gabled dormers in the roof. Coped gable to right, then main range. 3 2-light casement windows, only 1 original, with segmentally arched brick head. Door with brick arched head and a wide shallow blank arch to its right at ground level. 1 other original window and 1 insertion. 3 dormers above. Moulded brick eaves. 1 curved principal roof truss visible within. The house may incorporate elements of an earlier house where Prince Rupert stayed in 1642, during the Civil war.

Listing NGR: SK6474612395

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 64746 12395

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:14:45.