List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE THREE SWANS HOTEL

List entry Number: 1074412

Location

THE THREE SWANS HOTEL, 21, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189663

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 5303 (West Side) No 21 (Three Swans Hotel) SP 7387 1/13 25.7.52. II* GV

2. Formerly 'The Swan' and first mentioned as an inn in 1517. Late C18/early C19 facade to an earlier probably timber framed building (gable with close studding now concealed in building). Stuccoed. Roof not visible. 3 storeys (3rd added in late C18/early C19). 4 windows. 2 flattened bows of 2 storeys each with cornices and reeded mullions flank centre door which has small C19 hood on brackets. Segmental coach arch under south side of facade. Notable wrought iron sign and bracket of excellent design, the centre panel is original, the 2 outer swans were probably added when 'The Swan' became The Three Swans. Long range of painted brick outbuildings at rear. Interior has panelling of circa 1700 in a 1st floor room. Fireplaces and some 6-panelled doors. Christian VII of Denmark lunched here in 1768. The Court Leet was still held here occasionally in the C19. Ref.V.C.H.

Listing NGR: SP7326687355

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1907)

National Grid Reference: SP 73261 87356

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 05:00:40.