List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1074237

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHinckley and BosworthDistrict AuthorityPeckleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188197

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 40 SE PECKLETON CHURCH ROAD (south side)

7/66 Kirkby Mallory

7.11.66 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Parish church. Early C14 with C15 west tower and early C18 alterations; restored 1888 by Osborn and Reading of Birmingham. Random rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof over nave and lead covered roof over chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave (a north aisle was removed in the early C18) with north porch, 3-bay chancel with south vestry. West tower: 3 stages marked by strings, with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses to the western corners and a crenellated parapet with continuous moulded coping. 2-centred west window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights and Parpendicular tracery, with moulded surround and hood mould returned to the sides as a string. The second stage has a west window comprising a pair of lancets recessed within a rectangular frame with chamfered edges. Segmental pointed belfry openings of 2 lights with returned hood moulds. On the south side of the nave there is a buttress at each extremity, the western one having a C17/C18 bronze sundial fixed to it; this has a centrepiece of a coat of arms with a pair of lions rampant as supporters; above and to the sides are figures within semi-circular arches. The blocked south door has either a 4-centred arch or a 2-centred drop arch. To the left hand end of this front is a C18 window with semi-circular head and brick surround; to the right are 2 C19 windows with segmental-pointed heads and Y-tracery. On the north side the blocked arcade is still visible with inserted C18 windows like the one at the west end of the south front. The westernmost of these northern windows has a brick apron and stone imposts. C18 gabled porch of brick with semi-circular arch on stone imposts. Chancel: 3-light pointed east window with intersecting tracery, concave quarter-round-moulded surround and hollow chamfered hood terminating in heads. On the north side to the left of centre is a 2-centred window with Y-tracery and concave quarter-round-moulded surround; to the right is a blocked window and to the left, a tall blocked window or doorway, the sill being approximately 2 feet off the ground. Buttresses at the bay divisions and diagonally placed buttresses at the eastern corners. Interior: 2-centred tower arch with double ogee-moulded surround; an inner arch with wave surround springs from moulded corbels. 2-centred chancel arch with continuous outer chamfer, and inner chamfered arch springing from moulded corbels. C18 king-post roof of relatively low pitch over the nave; it is strengthened by posts standing on corbels from which carved braces extend to the tie beams. On the north side of the chancel is an arcade of 1½ bays, the double chamfered arches springing from octagonal columns with moulded capitals. C19 king-post roof over chancel with panel tracery between the tie beams and the roof. Fixtures and fittings: Font of 1906 in the form of an angel holding a shell shaped basin; the marble base is inscribed "SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN TO COME UNTO ME". C18 pews with matching dado along the side walls; these were originally box pews but the doors have been removed. C18 hexagonal pulpit with raised and fielded panels.

Simple rood screen forming a 3-bay arcade on cylindrical columns with moulded caps, and simple tracery in the spandrels. The priests bench is dated 1615 and is attached to choir stalls with carved panels of stylized foliage and bench ends surmounted by poppy heads. An C18 dado extends around the walls of the sanctuary; in the south wall is a piscina with moulded surround and trefoiled head springing from moulded corbels. Early C17 Gothic oak reredos comprising 4 panels each framed by a semi-circular arch on cylindrical shafts and containing 4 lancets and debased Perpendicular tracery beneath a rose of swirling mouchettes. Early C18 wrought iron altar rail with grapes and vine leaves. Monuments: 2 incised slabs, one of 1404 or earlier. Martha Lambe, died 1758: Tablet with eared surround and swan neck pediment. Judith Lambe, died 1750: Tablet with raised and eared surround surmounted by an urn spouting flame. Sir Clobery and Elizabeth Noel, died 1733 and 1743: Tablet with open pediment, side scrolls and 2 portrait medallions facing each other. Thomas Noell, died 1756, Commander of the Princess Louisa, and mortally wounded in a sea battle with the French near Minorca; a large projecting base is surmounted by an obelisk which acts as the background to an achievement of arms within which are superimposed an anchor, a cannon, and other instruments of war. Sir William Noel, died 1697; large wall monument with gadrooned base, broken semi-circular pediment containing a coat of arms flanked by festoons and surmounted by an urn spouting flame. Sir William Noell, died 1675; square pilasters with egg and dart friezes and an open segmental pediment containing a coat of arms. On a chest in front is the half reclining effigy of Sir William. Sir Edward Noel, died 1774: 2 large fluted urns flanking a tree and an open segmental pediment surmounted by a lamp spouting flame. Stained glass: the east and south windows of the chancel are by Kempe, both 1894. B.O.E. pp. 134-5.

Listing NGR: SK4540800344

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984 - Page References: 134-5

National Grid Reference: SK 45408 00344

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 01:10:14.