List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1074234

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHinckley and BosworthDistrict AuthorityPeckleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188191

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 49 NW PECKLETON CHURCH LANE (north side) 10/61 Stapleton

7.11.66 Church of St. Martin

GV II*

Church. Early C14; spire rebuilt (1904-5) and present windows inserted (1906) by W.T. Grewcock of Leicester. Random rubble with freestone dressings and slate roof. West tower and 3-bay nave and chancel in one. 2 stage west tower with belfry offset and diagonal buttresses diminishing with height and dying into the belfry stage. Segmental pointed west doorway with hood-mould. 2-light belfry windows containing Y-tracery with trefoil cusping to the heads of the lights, and hood moulds. Plain parapet, and small recessed spire. Nave and chancel: Pointed 2-light side windows with reticulated or Y-tracery; 3-light east window with decorated tracery. At the west end of the south side a smaller, C14 window survives, it has a segmental pointed head and Y-tracery; also on this side is the fragment of a square-headed window with reticulated tracery. At the west end of the nave, north of the tower, a small lancet survives. Blocked north and south doorways, the arches of both having been destroyed by windows of 1906. Interior: C14 doorway between nave and tower; 2-centred arch and double chamfered surround. No structural division between nave and chancel. C19 king-post roof. Fixtures and fittings: West gallery with vestry beneath, and box pews, all of 1808. Small stone font on an octagonal pedestal. C20 wooden pulpit with panelled sides and naturalistic foliage. Simple wooden altar rail with open arcade. Large Gothic style organ, C19. B.O.E. p. 389

Listing NGR: SP4347198451

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 389

National Grid Reference: SP 43471 98451

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 11:13:54.