List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1074229

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHinckley and BosworthDistrict AuthorityBarwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188169

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 49 NW TOWN OF HINCKLEY CHURCH LANE (south side) BARWELL lO/ 40

8.3.63 Church of St. Mary

GV I

Parish church. Circa 1300-50 with late C15 clerestory; restored 1854 by H. Goddard. Random rubble with freestone dressings; lead covered roofs of low pitch. West tower, 4-bay nave with aisles and north and south porches, 3-bay chancel. The 3-stage west tower has a series of offsets, a moulded plinth and a crenellated parapet with gargoyles at the four corners. The lower stage has angle buttresses surmounted by small diagonal buttresses which extend to a little over half the height of the second stage. Y-traceried west window, rectangular loops to the second stage and Y-traceried belfry lights, the heads of the two sub-divisions having trefoil cusping. Nave and aisles: Shallow buttresses at the bay divisions with offsets. The pointed windows of western bay are of 3 stepped lights; otherwise, the windows have 3 trefoiled lights and flowing tracery. Late C15 battlemented clerestory with hollow chamfered parapet string and continuous moulded coping around the merlons and crenels; each window has 2 trefoil-headed lights beneath a tall 4-centred arch, and a hollow chamfered surround. On the north and south sides are a pair of C19 gabled porches. The pointed north door of the church has a moulded surround including convex quarter-round, concave half-round and ogee profiles. Chancel: 2-light windows with reticulated (west and central bays) and flowing (east bay) tracery; ambitious 5-light east window with flowing tracery in an inventive pattern, possibly interfered with in the C19. Interior: 4-bay nave arcades of double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal columns with moulded bases and capitals; the arches have continuous hood moulds. The chancel arch is similar but springs from engaged half columns; the tower arch has 3 chamfered orders and no capitals. At the east end of the south aisle a tall double chamfered arch gives access to what is now the vestry, though it may have served as a chapel originally. Low pitched C15 nave roof carried on cambered tie beams, brattished along the top and supported by shafted brackets which stand on stone corbels carved as heads. On the soffit of each tie beam is a carved boss (c.f. Church of Margaret, Stoke Golding C.P.; Church of St. Peter, Witherley C.P.). Lean-to aisle roofs of similar date, also with curved bosses; the tie beams of the north aisle roof are supported on brackets, to the north which spring from stone corbels curved with naturalistic foilage. C19 chancel roof of similar type to that over the nave. Fixtures and fittings: plain cylindrical font, probably medieval. Raked Sunday school seating of 1854 in north aisle. C19 pine pews. In the south-east corner of the north aisle is a C20 ogee-headed doorway giving access to a newel stair which originally ascended to the rood loft. Altar, reredos, altar rail, choir stalls and pulpit are all of one period and style; late C19/C20 with trefoil-headed panelling, naturalistic foilage and poppy-heads. C14 Easter sepulchre with segmental pointed arch, and sedilia and piscina with 2-centred drop arches and a continuous hood mould. Commandment boards to each side of the east window.

Monuments: John Turkeray,died 1613; aedicule with a mixture of Renaissance and Gothic detail; 2 Tuscan columns and an open pediment surmounted by 3 obelisks; the panel inside is trefoil-headed with pendant cusps and contains a brass plate depicting Turkeray, who was parish priest, preaching in a pulpit to his assembled wife and children. Richard Brereton, died 1659; brass plate with the engraved figures of Brereton and his wife standing with their sons and daughters behind the respective parents. At the back of the Easter sepulchre is a brass plate to Susanna Stafford, died 1676, and one to Mary Seagrave, died 1730. B.O.E. p. 93.

Listing NGR: SP4438096502

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 93

National Grid Reference: SP 44380 96502

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 05:28:54.