List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1074178

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireNorth West LeicestershireDistrict AuthorityLockington-Hemington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358192

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOCKINGTON-HEMINGTON CHURCH STREET SK 42 NE (Lockington) 3/145 Church of St Nicholas 7.12.62 GV I Parish church. Earliest feature is north doorway of c1200. C13 nave arcades and chancel, the chancel with some late C14 windows. South aisle widened very early C14, north aisle slightly later. C15 west tower. Clerestory added late C15. South porch rebuilt 1946. Dressed stone with ashlar tower, lead roofs except for tiled chancel. Tall C15 tower of 4-5 stages with chamfered plinth and strings, off-set angled buttresses, and battlemented parapet with corner finials and carved gargoyles. Bell-chamber has pairs of 2-light traceried open- ings with dripmoulds. West side also has small rectangular window with 2 traceried lights to central stage, arched 3-light traceried window below, and small inserted doorway with semicircular head. Slit windows to south west stairs. Nave has moulded parapet and 4-bay clerestory with 3-light windows in surrounds with 4-centred heads. Aisles also have moulded parapets, and cham- fered plinths, sill strings and off-set buttresses. Each aisle has 3-light west window, 2 3-light windows to either north or south, and a fine 5-light east window. All windows in south aisle have intersecting tracery, whilst those to north aisle are similar but cusped. North aisle also has truncated battlements and door with fine moulded semicircular arch and capitals of former shafts. South door has early C14 pointed arch, finely moulded and with label over. Gabled south porch with double chamfered arch, the inner order on shafts with worn carved capitals, the left stiff-leaf, the right with cable moulding. Another worn carved stone is re-set in inner walls of porch. Chancel raised and re-roofed C16. West bay of chancel retains pairs of C13 narrow arched lights, those to south blocked below low transom. Windows in east bay are C14, part restored, and have 3 traceried lights. Blocked north door; small south door with moulded semicircular arch. East wall of chancel has C20 3-light window with intersecting tracery, and memorial slab to Edward Staples, 1697. INTERIOR: arch to tower is triple chamfered with moulded imposts. Nave arcades are of 4 bays and have double chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with moulded capitals and bases. At each end, inner order rests on half-piers with central fillet, except for later corbel at north east corner. Label has restored carved heads. Fine nave roof of late C15 date, with moulded beams, carved spandrels and carved foliage bosses. Aisle roofs are similar but with plain spandrels. West wall of north aisle incorporates part of rebuilt C12 semicircular arch with moulded zig-zag ornament. Aumbry in north wall. South aisle has piscina with cusped arch on shafts. Chancel arch is mostly obscured by tympanum of 1704, but retains moulded piers with moulded imposts. North aumbry. Arched piscina and triple sedilia with shafts. FITTINGS: are very fine. Rood screen is C15 with elaborate traceried panels and inserted C17 balusters. Above is a splendid tympanum dated AR 1704, all painted plaster, with texts in panels and curtains drawn aside to reveal magnificent royal coat-of-arms. Nave has 2 C15 benches, with poppyhead ends. 4 similar bench-ends have been rebuilt into reading desk and seat, and 4 more into benches in south aisle. South aisle has C15 parclose screen to east end, also with traceried panels. North aisle has 4 C18 panelled box pews, mid-late C18 2-decker pulpit, and large medieval chest with iron straps. Chancel has mid C17 turned wooden altar rails but table of c1600 has been moved to south aisle. Scraped circular stone font is possibly C12. There is also a C18 marble font of baluster type. Organ gallery at west end of nave rests on C18 wooden columns. Windows contain many fragments of medieval stained glass but east window is early C20. .................................. ............................................................................... Elizabeth Bainbrigge 1614 in chancel, with wooden canopy above; 2) mid C18 marble wall tablets to members of Bainbrigge family flanking east window,the left also with wooden canopy; 3) small C17 brass inscription tablets; 4) tomb chest with effigy of Elizabeth Langhan, 1501, the sides with small figures of monks, all in painted marble; 5) 4 large C16 alabaster slabs with incised figures and inscription 6) various C18 and early C19 marble wall tablets, mostly to members of Bainbrigge and Storey families, one of 1797 with carved allegorical figure.

Listing NGR: SK4680127931

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 46801 27931

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 06:44:49.