List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

List entry Number: 1073794

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RutlandUnitary AuthorityBurley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 187294

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 81 SE BURLEY CHURCH LANE 3/12 Church of the Holy 14.6.54 Cross II*

Medieval Parish Church of Norman origin, renewed and restored extensively by J.L. Pearson 1869-70. Coursed rubble of various builds. West tower, nave with aisles and clerestory, aisled chancel. Buttressed tower of early C14, 3 steps with tall 2-tier traceried openings to bell chambers and decorated west window. Embattled parapet and huge gargoyles, complete figures of men and beasts, at each angle. Nave of 4 bays with parapet to clerestory and eastern coped gable with cross. N. doorway in a porch by Pearson, buttressed, with coped gables and overhanging eaves. Double chamfered archway with continuous shaft. Aisles rebuilt by Pearson in fine masonry with string course and projecting eaves. All the aisle and clerestory window tracery by Pearson, flat-headed windows with heavy foiled tracery pattern. He completely rebuilt the chancel, which, with its aisles is the full width of the nave, wider on the south, with a single sweeping tiled roof with cresting, coped gable with eastern cross, and overhanging eaves. On its north wall, a good high Victorian cottage-style chimney to cellar-boiler room, and alongside it, a priests doorway. Interior has norman north arcade of 3 bays with circular piers with leafy volutes and square abaci. One of these piers consists of 2 shafts engaged against a squared column. The south arcade is late C13, double chamfered arches on circular piers and with some nailhead decorated capitals. King- post and strut roof. Chancel arch by Pearson, with engaged shaft springing from midway up, rather than ground level. Very low chancel screen of pierced stone. Chancel arcades of 3 bays on circular piers. East window by Clayton & Bell, c1870. West window, by Westlake, late C15 alabaster monument with 2 effigies the male figure multilated. Memorial to Charlotte Finch, d.1820, by Chantrey, in S. aisle. Perpendicular font: octagonal with traceried panels and frieze faces etc. Light fittings: coronae lucis, probably by Pearson.

Listing NGR: SK8830310215

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 88303 10215

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 09:08:20.