List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1073450

Location

94-104, SEEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359476

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3589 NW SEEL STREET (south side) L1

56/1113 Nos. 94 to 104 - (even)

G.V. II

A terrace of six houses built about 1800 each originally with two rooms per floor.

MATERIALS: Brick with painted sills and stone wedge lintels beneath slate roofs.

PLAN: The terrace is linear in plan.

EXTERIOR: A terrace of six three-storey houses with basements each of two bays with surviving early sash windows having glazing bars and three over four panes on the ground and first floors and three over two panes on the upper floor. The front doors to all the properties are reached by a short flight of steps with those to 94, 96 and 104 flanked by iron railings. A single segmental brick arch contains a modern fanlight above adjacent modern panelled front doors giving access to 94 & 96. Later sash windows have been inserted in the first floor of 94 and a modern panelled front door matching those at 94 & 96 has been inserted in 98. Ornate early fanlights remain in situ in the remaining properties as do doorcases with panelled pilasters. A shop front has been added to the ground floor of 102 with metal shutters obscuring the windows. Iron railings front 104 and signs advertising the business within have been affixed to the ground floor front elevation. There are tall chimney stacks each with four chimney pots to each of the properties other than 94. The rear elevations of 94-98 have been rebuilt and all early windows and doors replaced with modern additions. Casement windows have been inserted into 100-104 and the upper part of the rear wall to each property has largely been rebuilt.

INTERIOR: The properties 94-98 have each been converted into student rooms. The basements have been modernised to provide washing, drying and storage facilities. The ground floor front rooms function as communal living rooms; 96 has full length early timber window shutters and 98 has half length early timber window shutters. The rear ground floors are kitchens. The original two rooms on each of the upper floors have been subdivided to provide four rooms per floor. Some early internal features survive including door and window surrounds, staircases with balusters and handrails, and arches in the hallways with moulded corbels at the springing point. Number 100 retains more earlier features than its neighbouring properties including numerous doors, door and window surrounds, fire surrounds, a relatively complete early staircase and skylight, and some cornicing. Next door 102 has a modernised kitchen but elsewhere, like 100, a number of early features remain in situ. The ground floor of 102 has been converted into an office. Elsewhere this property has some rooms that have been refurbished or partly refurbished. Surviving early features here are fewer than in 100 & 102 but include a basement fire range, the staircase and panelling to the ground floor staircase and basement door surround.

HISTORY: A terrace of six properties thought to have been built about 1800. In about 1980 the rear elevations of 94-98 were rebuilt. During the 1980s these three properties were converted into student rooms with four rooms being provided per floor. New front doors were added to these properties at the same time and a new fanlight was added to 94-96. At unspecified dates the ground floor of 102 was converted into an antique shop and the ground floor of 104 was converted into the offices of a travel and insurance agency.

SOURCES: The Architectural History Practice Ltd., Liverpool World Heritage Site: Review of the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest (2006). 81.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Nos. 94-104 (E) Seel Street are designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Many original features survive including some windows, door and window surrounds, staircases with balusters and handrails, and hallway arches with moulded corbels. * As a group they display uniformity on their Seel Street facades, providing a good example of early C19th terraced housing, demonstrating the street's residential past. * The buildings highlight the development and changing face of the internationally important port of Liverpool from a wealthy residential area to an industrial and commercial area as the port expanded and the wealthy moved out of the city centre.

Listing NGR: SJ3514589803

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 35158 89798

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 09:17:20.