List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PLAXTOL CHURCH

List entry Number: 1072684

Location

PLAXTOL CHURCH, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTonbridge and MallingDistrict AuthorityPlaxtol

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357329

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 6053 PLAXTOL CHURCH HILL 6/20 (north side)

Plaxtol Church

II*

No dedication. Church. Built 1649, restored 1852, chancel and transepts 1894. Coursed, galletted rubble stone nave and tower on stone plinth. Two-stage tower, crenellated with sole remaining unrestored 1649 window to west. Four-bay nave with gable south porch; C19 gable-parapet and knellers. North and south transepts with 3-light windows, south transept with semi-basement entrance. Boarded and ribbed door, dripmould over. Three-light west window. Corner buttresses round east end, that to north-east on north transeptal chapel arched allowing walkway through. Interior. Original rectangular 6-bay church visible inside. Pointed tower arch. Hammerbeam roof resting on tripled octagonal stone wall-shafts. King posts over. Wooden tie-beam truss roofs in transepts. Raised chancel with barrel-vault supported by carved brackets on imposts. Marble reredos containing 3 wooden relief of the Last Supper, probably Flemish C15. Later relief panel of the parting of the Red Sea in south transept. C17 pulpit, panelled with introduced figure reliefs. Pair of Rococo brass chandeliers, dated 1785. Monument to Thomas Dalyson, d.1741, in the form of a Baroque cartouche.

Listing NGR: TQ6019553640

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 60195 53640

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 05:01:44.