List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1072580

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, STUMBLE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTonbridge and MallingDistrict AuthorityShipbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 55 SE SHIPBOURNE STUMBLE HILL 3/21 (west side)

25.8.59 Church of St Giles GV II

Church. Fragmentary remains of C14 chapel on site after complete rebuilding 1721-22 by James Gibbs, later replaced 1879-81 by Maun and Saunders for Edward Cazalet of Fairlawne. Nave and chancel church with transepts in neo-Decorated style. Central tower. Coursed ragstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs. Tower. Pointed arch openings at belfry stage. Crenellated parapet to pyramidal tiled roof with weather-vane. Four corner animal gargoyles. North-east corner octagonal stair-tower. Chancel. One bay. Three-light east window, gable parapet with kneelers over. Transepts. Three-light and windows in recessed arches. Nave. Four bays. Groups of 3 single light windows. Gabled north-west porch with gable-parapet and kneelers. Columned arched entrance. Small round window in west end gable, pair of 2-light windows below. Interior. Full width arches across bays of nave with inlaid decoration above and at impost level. Similar decoration above and around chancel arch. Wooden barrel vault to nave with arved stone colonnettes supporting the ribs. Ribbed and banded brick and stone vault to crossing. Shallow chancel with more inlaid decoration, covered by boarded wooden vault. Carved reredos of Last Supper with pinnacles over. Carved pulpit with moveable legs and parapet. Carved font with marble legs. Wooden stalls with arched and pinnacled canopy across full width of west end. Monument to Christopher Vane ; 1723 and his wife, Elizabeth, d.1725 in south transept. Giant Aedicule surmounted by triangular pediment. Figures of Elizabeth to left and Christopher to right, flanking urn on pedestal. Daughter, Elizabeth below, kneeling. One arch from the medieval chapel survives, built into the interior of the north transept. A photograph, an elevation and a plan of the Gibbs church are displayed in the church.

Listing NGR: TQ5916252153

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 59132 52242

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 04:04:07.