List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1072536

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, PRESTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireChorleyDistrict AuthorityHoghton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184399

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOGHTON PRESTON ROAD SD 62 NW 2/145 Church of the Holy Trinity - GV II

Church. 1881 rebuild of chapel founded 1823. Ashlar, 2-span slate roof. Nave with south aisle, west tower, chancel, mostly in Early English style. Moulded plinth, chamfered sill band; 5-bay nave with pilasters, the sill-band carried round them, and a large chamfered lancet in each bay except at the east end which has coupled lancets, hoodmoulds with returned ends run out to the pilasters; south aisle, under parallel roof, matches the nave but is 6 bays (overlapping one bay of the chancel) and has a shouldered priest door in the 5th bay, coupled lancets in the east gable and stepped triple lancets in the west gable; 2-bay chancel has traceried 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, and large 5-light east window; all gables have a small quatrefoil near the apex, and a carved stone cross. Tower at west end of nave, 3 stages, with angle-buttresses to the first two stages, and south-east stair turret, has arched north doorway with moulded surround, arched 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery in the head, an arched 2-light window and a circular clock face on the north and south sides, 3-light louvred belfry openings on all sides, with Perpendicular tracery in the heads, a dripband and embattled parapet. Interior: 4-bay aisle arcade of 2-centred arches chamfered in 2 orders, carried by quatrefoil columns with moulded caps; tower arch and organ house arch similar; deeply-moulded chancel arch; arch-braced wagon roof; in chancel 2 wall monuments to de Hoghton family (Charles, d.1895 and Vere, killed in action in France 1915, this in alabaster aedicule in Renaissance style).

Listing NGR: SD6149525906

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 61495 25906

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 03:00:44.