List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOGHTON TOWER AT SD 622 264

List entry Number: 1072532

Location

HOGHTON TOWER AT SD 622 264

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireChorleyDistrict AuthorityHoghton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184392

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOGHTON SD 62 NW 2/138 Hoghton Tower at SD 622 264 22.10.52 GV I

Mansion house of de Hoghton family. Begun by Thomas Hoghton 1562-3; dated 1565 in upper courtyard and 1700 on south wing of lower courtyard; probably mostly sequential building from the earlier date, with parts of mid- to later C17, and additions of c.1700 and c.1900; derelict by mid C19, but restored from 1862 (ex situ datestones of 1673 in south-west turret of ramparts). Sandstone, with stone slate roofs. Dramatically sited on crown of Hoghton Hill escarpment, on a conservative double courtyard plan, mostly 2 storeys, and employing some similarly conservative features, probably deliberately. Lower courtyard enclosed by screen wall with embattled gate tower and corner towers facing down westward slope, added ranges on north and south sides of this courtyard; upper courtyard with gateway on same axis (tower destroyed 1642), Great hall and kitchen on north side, state rooms on east side and living rooms on south and west sides; former chapel attached at north east corner decayed by mid C19 and replaced with porch; most of these elements apparently of different builds. Gateways of lower and upper courtyards have 4-centred double-chamfered arches which have semi-octagonal responds with moulded caps; over the outer arch of the lower gate a carved plaque representing a man wrestling with a beast and lettered T H, in Renaissance architrave; over the upper gateway on its outer side a carved plaque with shield of arms (2 bulls as bearers) and helm in heavily foliated surround lettered TH, and on its inner side another with Hoghton arms and date 1565. Windows throughout have slightly-recessed mullions (some moulded, some cavetto) but no hoodmoulds, and are variously of 2,3, or 4 lights, except those to the principal rooms of the upper courtyard, which have transoms. These rooms are all above ground floor: the Great Hall raised over a basement has a full-height semi-octagonal bay to the inner and outer sides of the upper (east) end, fenestrated all round with 3 transoms, gable corbelled out over the corners bearing ball finials on the kneelers and the apex, on the courtyard side a high-set tripartite window with 2 transoms (12, 15 and 15 lights) and opposite this on the outer side an external chimney stack to a side-wall fireplace, and at the lower (west) end a moulded 4-centred arched doorway up 9 semi-circular steps, a similar doorway at the north end of the screens covered by a short outer wing or porch decorated at ground floor with remains of good Renaissance detailing, including pilasters, strapwork, and entablature, a moulded cornice carrying a slightly-oversailing upper floor. The east range of this courtyard has transomed windows at 1st floor of 8+8, 8, and 10+10 lights, and the south range has similar windows of 4, 6+6, 6+6 and 6+6 lights. Interior: principal features of interest include late C17 screen and minstrels' gallery in hall with turned balusters in both parts; staircase in east range with twisted balusters; well-house in north-east corner of outer courtyard, with wooden winding gear; and ovolo-moulded beams, panelling, Renaissance-style fireplaces and overmantels variously restored or copied. For full description see VCH Lancs VI 36-47; Pevsner, G.C. Miller Hoghton Tower (1948).

Listing NGR: SD6220026400

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Miller, GC - Title: Hoghton Tower - Date: 1948
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 25 Lancashire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Farrer, W and Brownbill, J - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster - Date: 1911 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 36-47

National Grid Reference: SD 62256 26410, SD 62278 26435

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 10:01:12.