List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CHAD

List entry Number: 1072401

Location

CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireWyreDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184779

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 33 NW POULTON-LE-FYLDE CHURCH STREET

Church of St. Chad 3/2

23.9.50 II*

Church, mainly mid-C18. Stone, with slate roof. Substantially Georgian with early C17 tower, and apsidal chancel of 1868. Castellated west tower of coursed roughly- dressed stone, with diagonal buttresses at west corners, angled buttresses at east corners, 4 small corner pinnacles (1923), paired round-headed belfry louvres on all 4 sides, and clock-face with circular moulded surround beneath belfry on north and south sides. Wide nave of coursed dressed stone, with low-pitched roof, the ridge meeting the tower at its north-east corner. Large round-headed windows standing on string course, with plain architraves and Y-tracery, 4 on north side, 3 on south side. No porch, but 2 doorways on south side, with Tuscan columns, triglyphs and triangular pediments, that on the right (entry to Fleetwood family vault) has carved corbels carrying the pediment and is dated 1699; one doorway on north side with plain rectangular surround; a bullseye window over each door. Apse of 1868 in Romanesque style with 3 pairs of round-headed windows. Interior: essentially an auditorium, with 3-sided gallery (1751) on Tuscan columns, approached by fine staircase in north- west corner. South-west corner contains, as a screen, part of the family pew of the Rigbys of Layton Hall, the door having raised lettering "AR 1636" and a carved goat's head. Pulpit incorporates carved panels of probably early C17. Hatchments of Hesketh and Fleetwood families hang upon walls; and there are important wall monuments and tablets principally to members of the Hull and Hesketh families. (Porter, History of the Fylde, 1876, pp. 192-203).

Listing NGR: SD3482739455

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Porter, J, History of the Fylde, (1876), 192-203

National Grid Reference: SD 34827 39455

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:48:30.