List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1072028

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, FLEETWOOD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireFyldeDistrict AuthorityMedlar-with-Wesham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 183611

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MEDLAR WITH WESHAM FLEETWOOD ROAD SD 43 SW 9/41 Christ Church - - II

Church, 1893-4, by Paley and Austin, with chancel and steeple 1927. Red brick with pink sandstone dressings, red tiled roof, green slate cladding to spire. Nave with low aisles, chancel under same roof, south-west steeple and attached porch. Decorated style. West gable to road has angle-buttresses, very large 2-centred arched window of 5 full-height lights, parapet with returned end stepped down to nave on north side; 6-bay nave has chamfered sill-band and 2 sandstone bands run into the window surrounds, large 2-centred arched 3-light windows with mouchette tracery in the heads, and moulded surrounds and hoodmoulds of glazed light red brick; low aisles each have two small 2-light windows with rounded lights; short mono-pitch roofed transeptal chapels at east end of nave. Continuation of chancel (1927) in matching style and materials has only an east window: very large, 2-centred arched, 7 lights with mouchette tracery in the head. Square brick 3-stage tower with 2-light belfry louvres is finished with sandstone parapet stepped up at the corners, and carries a small octagonal spire; gabled porch attached on south side of tower has moulded stone doorway, and a stone parapet. Interior: unusual arcade of stone piers alternately lacking capitals, the stone continued above the springing of moulded semi-circular arches in brick; very wide chancel arch designed in the same fashion, but with the inner moulding rising from a corbelled stone shaft; wagon,roof carried on shallow trusses of raised tie-beams with struts and false kingposts.

Listing NGR: SD4176233024

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 41762 33024

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:41:23.