List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1071797

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, 15 AND 16, RECTORY GARDENS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireLancasterDistrict AuthorityCockerham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Mar-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 182145

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/04/2012

SD 45 SE 12/72

COCKERHAM RECTORY GARDENS Nos. 15 & 16

(Formerly listed as Nos 15 & 16 Rectory Gardens)

II

Former vicarage, converted to nursing home, now flats, 1843. Squared sandstone with steep slate roofs. Main (east) facade formed by 2 parallel gabled wings with a narrow bay between them. Rear range has roof running north-south. 2 storeys with attics. Windows have outer chamfer and inner hollow chamfer. Facade has 2 moulded string courses and is symmetrical. Under each gable is a 6-light mullioned and transomed window on the ground floor, 2 cross windows on the 1st floor, and a stepped 3-light mullioned attic window. The central section has a cross window on the 1st floor. Above is a shield carved with an open bible, and a motto: 'LUCERNA PEDIBUS'. The doorway has a moulded Tudor-arched head with 'I.D. 1843' above. It is flanked by narrow lights, each with a transom. The south facade, of 4 bays, has mullioned and transomed windows with similar details. The left-hand bay is gabled and projects slightly. To the right are stone attic dormers.

Listing NGR: SD4643152322

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 46431 52322

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 02:13:47.