List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1071626

Location

CHRIST CHURCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireLancasterDistrict AuthorityOver Wyresdale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 182543

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 55 SE OVER WYRESDALE

12/7 Christ Church (formerly listed as 2-5-1968 Wyresdale Chapel) - II

Church, 1733, extensively altered in 1894 by Douglas. Sandstone rubble with slate roofs. Comprises a west tower, nave with lower chancel, south porch, and north vestry. Tower has rock-faced diagonal buttresses and a short slated spire with weather vane set back behind an embattled parapet. Below the parapet is a string course with corner gargoyles. The bell openinqs are each of 2 liqhts with segmental heads. The west window appears to be re-set and is chamfered with 2 round-headed liqhts. The nave has chamfered quoins at each corner and copings with kneelers. Its present windows are of 1894 and have lights with elliptical heads. To each side of the tower in the west wall there is one of one light. The south wall has 2 pairs of 2-light windows, each window with a blank tracery panel over the lights and each pair under one hood. At the far right is a one-light window. To its left is a doorway flanked by Doric pilasters and with a round head which has a fluted keystone. Set back within it is a moulded stone door surround of 1894. At the left is a gabled porch whose outer doorway has a moulded pointed arch. The inner doorway is flanked by pilasters and has a round arch with fluted keystone. Around the arch is inscribed: 'O ye shepherds hear the word of the Lord'. Set back to the right is a one-bay chancel which has a one-light window has a pointed head with tracery and with an ogee head to the light. On the north side it is similar. The east window is of 5 ogee lights under a Tudor-arched head with tracery. On the north side the nave has 2 2-light windows to the right of the vestry and one of one light to the left. The vestry has a 3-light window. Interior has moulded pointed arches to the tower and to the sanctuary. The open timber roof of the nave has 2 bolted king post trusses with ogee braces to the principals. The truss between the nave and the choir stalls resembles a spere truss and has aisle posts with carved tracery decoration, arch braces rising to a high collar and smaller braces to the aisle ties. The pews appear to be of 1894 and have carved ends. 'the pulpit contains C17th carved panels, including the date of 1684. Wall tablets include one by Websters of Kendal to Richard Hathornthwaite (d. 1816). The windows contain some glass of late C19th date.

Listing NGR: SD5511254428

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 55112 54428

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 10:45:00.