List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FRIARS, MAIN BLOCK

List entry Number: 1070570

Location

THE FRIARS, MAIN BLOCK, BULL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTonbridge and MallingDistrict AuthorityAylesford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 179202

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AYLESFORD CP BULL LANE TQ 7258 (east side) 12/21 The Friars, main block 25.8.59

GV I

Carmelite Priory, later house, now returned to use as Carmelite Priory. Founded 1241 with C13 church rebuilt from 1348 (demolished after reformation); Cl5 and C16 conventual buildings altered in late C17, rebuilt after fire in 1930, and substantial additions after Carmelite return in 1949. Refectory Cloister block: Later C15, rebuilt on 1st floor and above in mid C20. Coursed dressed stone with plain tiled roofs. South and west walks of cloister alone survive. 2 storeys with attic only in north wing. Gable parapet on south range to east. 5 hipped dormers facing east on north wing. 6 bays to south and 5 bays to west, with stepped buttresses between bays, the cloister extending 5 bays to either side of the angle of the blocks, the sixth bay of the south range with a narrower arch opening out into further projecting cloister of mid C20 date. 2-light mullion and traceried windows on 1st floor. Hollow chamfered arches to cloister below with central cloister entrance in west arm with 2 moulded round- arched entrances to block behind at right end of west arm and entrances to block behind south arm in central recess, which has floor-joist of refectory above supported on tall, moulded octagonal wooden post. Triple stone hollow-chamfered mullioned window with moulded lintel behind, and similar one at right with pointed arch. Wide arched recess with high cill to left. Domestic block: Dated 1677 and 1678, on rainwater heads. Added by Sir Joseph Banks during remodelling of that date. Random rubble stone with tiled roofs. East side Gable end of block. 2 storeys and attics; 2 bays, 2-light stone mullioned windows in attic, large C20 wooden casements on 1st floor, and 3-light hollow-chamfered stone mullioned windows on ground floor. North side: Roof hipped at right, gabled to left with gable parapets and kneelers, and stepped down from left in centre. Left-hand block: End stacks and 4 gabled and bargeboarded later C19 dormers. 2 storeys and attic; regular 4-bay front. Large C20 casement windows with upper-hung top-lights and gauged stone heads. Right-hand block: 2 C17 dormers, that to left segment-headed, that to right pedimented. 2 storeys and attics; irregular fenestration of 4 lights on 1st floor, that to right of centre a 6-light transom and mullion window. Large hollow-chamfered depressed arch on ground floor to left, now blocked, with inset C20 round-arched entrance and boarded door, flanked by 2 small leaded windows. 1 storey hipped projecting C20 extension to right with round-arched entrance and boarded door flanked by leaded casements. The end wall of this block is not square but at an oblique angle in line with the outer wall of the north-eastern block of the Curia Courtyard behind. 2 storeys; irregular fenestration of 2 windows on 1st floor and 1 on ground floor. Curia: Interior of Courtyard: This stands to the west of the cloister ranges, and apart from the guest-house in the south-range of C15 date, dates from the C16, restored in the mid C20. Square in plan for north, west and south sides, with splayed eastern wing attached to rear of cloister and domestic blocks at north end. North-east wing: Random rubble stone with some brick and some ashlar window dressings. Plain tiled roof. 2 storeys and attics with central side stack corbelled out from first floor, brick above and stone below. 3 gabled bargeboarded dormers. Irregular fenestration of 3 windows on 1st floor and 4 on ground floor, the three to left on the ground floor stone-mullioned and restored; 1 unrestored stone-mullioned window on 1st floor to right. Round- arched doorways to left and right, that to right flanked by pair of smaller windows and set in blocked hollow-chamfered depressed arch matching that to the north of the block. East wing: Random rubble stone with some red brick dres- sings and some ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roof. 2 storeys and attics only to left. 6 hipped dormers and parapeted gable cross-wing to right, at end of refectory block behind. The rendered south-west corner of the taller C17 domestic block can be seen projecting behind the roof at the angle of north-east and east wings. Projecting 2-storey extension at angle of blocks. 5 buttresses, 2 flanking gable to right, with 1 lower buttress in centre and 2 to left. Irregular fenestration of 6 windows on 1st floor, that to extreme right a tall triple-mullioned traceried window lighting the west end of the refectory. 2 mullioned windows 2nd and 3rd from right. 6-window ground floor, with 2 extra very small windows. 2 large later C17 cross windows to left of centre with carved bracket keystones in stone. At right end of block C20 additions exten- ding to angle with hall (not listed). South (hall) wing: Random rubble stone with rendered 1st floor to right. Right-hand block projects, flanked by gabled projecting stair towers, to left and right of water-gate, that to right actually a part of the west wing. Hall (to left): Recessed with plain tiled roof. 3 dormers and end stack to right in gable parapet, partly masked behind stair- turret. 2 storeys and attic; irregular fenestration of 4 windows on both floors, mostly mullioned with casements. Those second from left on both floors pointed with trefoil heads. 2 pointed-arched door-surrounds, both heavily- moulded, to entrances to left and right of centre. Block to right: Entrance to stair-tower in angle of recess. Stair-tower with one window on both floors at different levels reflecting stair behind. 2 storeys and attic with 2 gabled and barge-boarded dormers to right. 2 windows on 1st floor and 1 to left on ground floor, all with lattice casements. Arch with moulded arched bressummer through block to right. West wing: Random rubble with ashlar dressings on ground floor, rendered above. Plain tiled roof. 2 storeys and attics; 5 gabled dormers, all with C20 moulded barge-boards. Rendered and gabled 2-storey projecting and battered stair-tower at extreme left. Irregular fenestration of 6 windows on the first floor and 7 windows on the ground floor, all lattice casements. 4 boarded and ribbed doors in depressed pointed-arched and moulded surrounds, to right of centre and to right, to left and at extreme left. North-west wing: Random rubble with ashlar quoins and window dressings. Plain tiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. 6 timbered and gabled dormers with C20 moulded barge-boards. Irregular fenestration of 6 windows on 1st floor and 7 windows on ground floor; lattice casements, on ground and 1st floors, in ovolo-moulded mullioned sur- rounds. Large arch at extreme left. 4 boarded and ribbed doors, to left of centre and to left, to right and almost at right-hand end. Exterior of Court- yard: South (river) front: Hall projecting to right, random rubble stone with plain tiled roof. 3 modern mullioned windows, 1 on each floor in west end. Recessed wing to left, random rubble with ashlar dressings on ground floor, rendered and jettied above. Plain tiled roof. 2 storeys and attics. 2 gabled dormers. Irregular fenestration of 6 windows on 1st floor, 5 windows on ground floor. Wide central chamfered and pointed archway, originally the watergate. West front: Random rubble on ground floor, rendered above. Plain tiled hipped roof with lower C20 extension to left. 2 storeys and attic, 1½ storeys to left. 7 gabled dormers with 3 semi-dormers on lower left extension. Irregular fenes- tration of 12 windows on 1st floor, and 16 windows on ground floor, all lattice casements, some C20 mullioned windows, with pointed arched window with cusped head at right-hand end. Shallow chamfered-arched doorway at right end leading to river. North-west front: Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roof. 2 storeys and attic; 6 stepped buttresses regularly deployed between windows except one missing at right-hand end. 4 gabled dormers. Irregular fenestration of 6 windows on 1st floor and 6 windows on ground floor, lattice casements some in chamfered mullioned surrounds, and that to extreme right on ground floor in round-arched surround set deep within straight-pointed arched frame. Projecting C20 1 1/2-storey wing to right (not listed).

Listing NGR: TQ7235358828

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 72396 58860

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 11:43:59.