List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: METHODIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1069957

Location

METHODIST CHURCH, EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTonbridge and MallingDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 178748

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 5946 NW TONBRIDGE EAST STREET

3/121 Methodist Church

II

Methodist Church. Completed in 1875 by Cattermole & Eade of Ipswich with adjoining Sunday School in similar style of 1897. Church built of red brick in Flemish bond with bands of yellow brickwork and stone dressings. Slate roof. Front has central gable with cross-shaped saddlestone and small quatrefoil window. Large arched window with corbels, the upper part a rose window with 5 trefoil arches below flashed by lancets with trefoil heads. Dripcourse. To left is 1 bay with arched window with trefoil heads and arched doorcase with gabled head sexfoil decoration and plank door with decorative hinges footscraper in decorative gable to right. To the right of the central gable are 3 bays and buttresses and 3 arched windows with trefoil decoration and similar doorcase. Left side elevation has 2 brick chimneys, sexfoil window above and 2 arched win- dows with trefoils below. Interior of church has an unusually elaborate wooden roof of 'spider's web' form comprising a series of 4 intersecting arches and other arched braced tie- beams with elaborate fretted decorations in the spandrels including quatrefoil motifs. The church retains intact its original north arch comprising panelled organ gallery and 2 other upper galleries, pews and pulpit. Attached to the right hand side is the Victoria Hall of 1896-7 in similar style also in red brick with stone dressings. Large gable with hood moulding and triple lancet window, the top with quatrefoil below trefoil flanked by similar single lancets. To the right the Sunday School has a smaller gable with blank quatrefoil, triple sash window to 1st floor and triple Caernarvon arched windows to ground floor. Arched doorcases. Right side elevation is cement rendered.

Listing NGR: TQ5912246603

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 59122 46603

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 03:09:46.