List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DAVINGTON PRIORY

List entry Number: 1069404

Location

DAVINGTON PRIORY, PRIORY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentSwaleDistrict AuthorityFaversham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176000

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRIORY ROAD 1. llO3 DAVINGTON ----------- Davington Priory TR 0161 NW 7/148 29.7.50. II* GV

2. Founded in 1153. The buildings immediately adjoin the Church. They comprise the Prioress's Parlour, the Library, the Western alley of the Cloister, the arch of the Lavatorium and the Norman doorway of the Re- fectory. They form an L-shape. The best front faces East. The ground floor is medieval work of chequered stone and flints. Above it is a timber-framed structure with a plastered front, colour- washed and over-hanging on a moulded bressummer. 4 gables with moulded bressummers, bargeboards and pendants. The Southernmost 1 is over a projecting wing and has scalloped bargeboards, a cove beneath the bressummer and a cartouche in the gable. Balancing this projection at the North end of the front is a 2-storey porch. Beyond it is a small wing backing on to the Church which forms an L with the main building. Externally this is apparently Cl8 with a modern addition at its East end. The West front of the main building, which is the entrance front, has been modernised. The ground floor is of stone, above plastered, with 4 gables having moulded bressummers, billet-moulded bargeboards and pendants. Tiled roof, Modern windows. The stained glass artist Thomas Willement was responsible for most of the Cl9 alterations; he also incorporated some medieval stained glass into his design for the interior.

Davington Priory, Walls and Postern and Church of St Mary Magdalene form a group with Raven's Court Wall enclosing Raven's Court and Raven's Court Cottage, Brent Hill.



Listing NGR: TR0109261743

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 01092 61743

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 07:16:10.