List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTON COURT INCLUDING COURTYARD WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1069219

Location

NORTON COURT INCLUDING COURTYARD WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS, NORTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentSwaleDistrict AuthorityNorton, Buckland and Stone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176475

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 96 SE NORTON AND BUCKLAND NORTON LANE (east side)

1/69 Norton Court including courtyard walls and out- 27.8.52 buildings

GV II

House and courtyards. C17, remodelled early C19 and 1910 by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Painted brick in Flemish bond with plain tiled roof. Two storeys on plinth, with platband and cornice, and attic with 3 pedimented dormers and stacks to rear right and to left. Irregular fenestration of 6 glazing bar sashes with shutters on first floor, and 4 segment headed glazing bar sashes on ground floor. Two 8 panelled doors to left and to right. Main entrance in right return front, double doors of 6 panels with tracered elliptical fanlight, and attached Doric columns. Rear ranges tile hung and half-hipped. Interior: contains a painted "monks room" decorated by fugitive Catholic recusant C17. Courtyard and garden walls to rear of house in painted and red brick approx. 8 feet in height in 3 courts enclosing an area approx. 100 yards long by 60 yards. The house was originally built 1625 for the Milles family, reputedly by Inigo Jones. Remodelled early C19 and restored by Blomfield in 1910, the main range was destroyed by fire 1966. The present house, of the late C17, was a service wing to the main range.

Listing NGR: TQ9673861202

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 96738 61202

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 12:09:45.