List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1068865

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CLEMENTS GATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireNorth West LeicestershireDistrict AuthorityLong Whatton and Diseworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONG WHATTON CLEMENTS GATE SK 4424-4524 (Diseworth) 12/168 Church of St Michael 7.12.62 GV II*

Parish church. C11-C12 in origin but substantially C13 with early C14 tower. North porch dated 1661. C19 and C20 restorations. Rubble stone with ashlar tower and lead roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle, north porch, chancel. West tower is of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, 2-light traceried west window, and wide arched single lights in double-chamfered surrounds to bell- chamber. Broach spire-with single tier of lucarnes. Nave has some herringbone stone work at base of north wall, a short length of moulded plinth, and a coved cornice. Large C19 brick buttress at north east corner. North side has 2 large arched single lights in double-chamfered surrounds, and moulded arched doorway with inner order on shafts. North porch has coped gable and moulded arch. South aisle has covered eaves and restored traceried windows, the west end with 2-light window, the south side with 3-light window to left and tall 2-light window to right, the east end with another 3-light window. Both 3-light windows have intersecting tracery. Moulded south doorway is partly infilled and has small door. Chancel retains outline and inner splays of small Cll-Cl2 arched single light now blocked, in north wall, and one other blocked single light with traces of carving over arched head. South side has 2 C19 2-light traceried windows in Decorated style, and blocked lowside window. Large 3-light east window with cusped tracery. INTERIOR: is much restored and stripped of plaster. Double-chamfered arches to tower, chancel and south arcade. South arcade is of 3 bays and has octagonal piers, moulded capitals, with dogtooth ornament, and label with carved stops. Nave roof renewed 1949, south aisle roof 1902 and chancel roof 1964. Chancel has aumbry in east wall, and arched piscina with rebate in south wall. Fittings include a font with round bowl, possibly Cll-Cl2, on later base with 4 filletted shafts, and a panelled pulpit and tester dated RC 1713. By the font are fragments of wall plaster from No 31 Hall Gate, with small incised figures. Other fittings are C19. Marble wall MEMORIALS include a late C18 tablet to Calet Lowdhan and family, and C19 tablets to members of the Cheslyn family. Tablet to Anne Cheslyn 1823 has relief carving of a mourning lady leaning on a tomb.

Listing NGR: SK4537024530

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 45370 24530

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:11:50.