List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOWTHER CASTLE

List entry Number: 1068767

Location

LOWTHER CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityLowther

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74345

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 52 SW LOWTHER LOWTHER

12/137 Lowther Castle 6.2.68 II*

Country house built as sham castle, now a ruin without roof. 1806-14 on site of medieval hall, by Sir Robert Smirke for 1st Earl of Lonsdale. Calciferous sandstone ashlar with string course and battlemented parapets. Tall central square stair tower behind, and projecting above, 3-storey, 3-bay centre flanked by 2-storey, 3-bay wings. Low flanking recessed 3-bay links to 2-storey, 3-bay end pavilions; each angle with either a circular or octagonal turret. Central porte-cochere has pointed arches under tracery stone panels, battlemented parapet and octagonal, panelled turrets. Central bays have mixed fenestration of 4-light Tudor window over porch and pointed-arched windows. Ground floor pointed-arched tracery windows in wings under 2-light Tudor-style windows. Pavilions have 2-light Tudor-style windows. All windows now without tracery or mullions. House was closed in 1935 (it had over 260 rooms and had cost £77,000) and partly used as a tank training range during World War II. Contents sold in 1947 and roof removed 1957. See Colvin, Crook & Friedman, Architectural Drawings from Lowther Castle, 1980: Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxxxi, pp.122-136 and lxxxiv, pp.191-204. See also D. Sutherland, The Yellow Earl, 1965, for the later history of the castle.

Listing NGR: NY5214823802

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, Crook, Friedman, , Architectural Drawings from Lowther Castle, (1980)
Sutherland, D , The Yellow Earl, (1965)
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 122-136
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 191-204
Other
Part 9 Cumbria,

National Grid Reference: NY 52148 23802

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 07:30:49.