List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL AND WALLED FORECOURT

List entry Number: 1068714

Location

STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL AND WALLED FORECOURT, TOWN HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTunbridge WellsDistrict AuthorityLamberhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Oct-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 170099

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LAMBERHURST TOWN HILL TQ 6636-6736 & 6635-6735 (north west side) 8 & 9/262 Strict Baptist Chapel and walled forecourt GV II

Chapel. 1816, altered 1851. Red and blue chequered brick with slate hung rear addition. Slate roof. Simple Neo-Classical style rectangular chapel with 2 storey rear wing, the main elevation with pedimented gable containing gauged brick roundel and gauged round headed windows either side of central panelled double doors with traceried segmental fan and flat hood on brackets. Side elevations with brick dentil eaves cornice and single tall window opening. All windows with late C20 top bung casements (replacing sashes). Rear wing with sash windows and end stack. The upper courses of the chapel show signs of the 1851 alterations, the rear wing entirely of this date (although Homan, Victorian Churches of Kent, says the chapel was rebuilt 1851). Walled forecourt to east of chapel, c.1851 walls about 4 feet in height of red brick in English bond on sandstone base with coping stones and slight piers to corners and to central gate, itself with simple iron uprights. The right return side of the forecourt formed by the gates and walls to Murlingden, item no. 8/261 built c.1841 and predating the forecourt walls.

Listing NGR: TQ6742436002

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Homans, R, Victorian Churches of Kent, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TQ 67424 36002

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 07:33:01.