List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1068692

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityEpworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165124

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 70 SE EPWORTH CHURCH STREET (north side, off)

11/63 Church of St Andrew 1.3.67 GV I

Parish church. Largely C14-C15 with late C12 - early C13 nave arcades and early C14 chancel. Chancel partly destroyed in 1642, side chapels demolished and chancel partly rebuilt in 1670s. Renovations of 1721 to north porch, and of 1817 to south porch. Nave re-roofed 1782. Restorations of 1868 by James Fowler of Louth included new organ chamber, removal of gallery, reflooring, reseating, re-roofing aisles. Further work to roofs in 1878; new choir stalls 1890. Limestone ashlar, apart from south aisle of coursed limestone, mudstone rubble and re-used ashlar, and clerestory of rendered rubble. Ashlar dressings. Lead roofs to nave, north porch; Welsh slates to chancel, north aisle. West tower and 3-bay nave with 5-bay aisles, (the 2 narrower western bays embracing the tower), north and south porches, 3-bay chancel with single-bay organ chamber and clergy vestry adjoining north side. Moulded plinths to tower and chancel, chamfered plinths to remainder. String course and coped embattled parapets throughout, except to chancel. 3-stage tower: pair of set-back buttresses with offsets to west side, moulded string courses between stages. First stage: inserted or altered west doorway with recessed segmental-headed door in narrow opening beneath wide 4-centred moulded arch; pointed 3-light Perpendicular-traceried window above with restored mullions and hoodmould continued as string course between stages. Plain second stage with clockface to south. Top stage: pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with incised spandrels, hoodmoulds and head stops. Angle gargoyles, string course, coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle and central pinnacles. North aisle: buttresses between bays with offsets, 3 square-headed 3-light windows with round-headed lights, pointed 2-light Perpendicular-traceried west window with incised spandrels. North porch: central section breaks forward, with fine reset late C13 - early C14 pointed cusped and sub-cusped arch on hollow chamfered responds; stone tablet above inscribed:

Rich Taylor Ch Whitehead Church Wardens 1721

C14-C15 interior has pointed tunnel vault with single hollow-chamfered rib on carved corbels, that to right a figure holding leaves, that to left worn, with heraldic relief tablets alongside corbels, one bearing arms of Mowbray family; pointed double hollow-chamfered inner arch. South aisle: buttresses to angles with offsets, pair of large plain C18-C19 brick buttresses with stone coping. Much worn square-headed single-light window to west bay, probably reset, with fragmentary hoodmould, a square-headed 3-light window to second bay with restored tracery and original hoodmould; beyond porch, a 4-centred-arched 3-light window with crude rounded cinquefoiled lights, and a square-headed 3-light trefoiled window with restored mullions and original hoodmould; 2 reset fragments of incised C14 graveslab to third bay. Blocked segmental-pointed arch to east side containing small triangular-headed single-light window. South porch: pointed double-chamfered outer arch with inner order on chamfered shafts with moulded capitals; string course, coped embattled parapet with central merlon bearing worn inscription with names of church wardens, dated 1817. Clerestory: 4 square-headed 2-light windows with plain chamfered mullions and reveals. Chancel: angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets; south side has pointed door with continuous wave, ogee and hollow mouldings, hoodmould and large head stops; pair of pointed 3-light windows with squared apexes and reticulated tracery; single segmental-headed 3-light cinquefoiled north window; restored 4-light east window with curvilinear tracery, hoodmould and head stops, beneath rebuilt coped gable with angle gargoyles and cross finial. Organ chamber has C19 4-centred-arched 2-light traceried window with hoodmould. Vestry has original square-headed 3-light east window with plain chamfered mullions in deeply-hollowed reveal. Interior. 3 1/2-bay nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches (with thin hoodmoulds to north) on octagonal piers and keeled east responds with moulded capitals (mostly restored) and moulded bases (that to north-west water-holding, those to north on square pedestals). The half-bay abuts the tower, with its continuation on plain responds incorporated in the tower base, visible in the western aisle extensions. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch with continuous outer chamfer and corbelled inner order with carved corbel to north side, flanked by heavy tower buttresses with chamfered lower sections projecting into nave. South tower aisle, now storeroom, has tall round-headed opening to tower with inserted door below. Similar opening to north tower aisle, now choir vestry. Blocked pointed chamfered east arch to south aisle (to former chapel); square-headed opening to east end of north aisle, with small recessed triangular-headed window. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch dying into responds. Former entrance to rood loft has pointed chamfered arch in north aisle with lower steps in situ, and rebated arch to nave side. Chancel has pointed chamfered door to vestry, and C19 opening to organ chamber with pointed double-chamfered arch dying into responds. 6-bay nave roof with chamfered and moulded tie beams with single side- and ridge- purlins, carved floral bosses, and inscription:

Wm Watkin & Jno Sampson Church Wardens 1782 Robt Pickard Carpenter

C19 aisle and chancel roofs, latter of 4 bays with traceried panels above tie beams and carved angel corbels to eastern truss. Monuments in chancel: marble wall tablets to Peter and Mary Barnard of c1808 with paterae, moulded cornice and urn; to Margaret Maw of 1797 with faded painted arms and carved urn; to John Maw of 1826 by Walsh and Dunbar of Leeds, with pediment and acroteria; to William Barnard of 1824 with paterae, cornice and urn; to George Capes of 1847 with urn. C19 - early C20 stained glass, that to east window dated 1878. Late C13 - early C14 octagonal font has bowl with plain panelled sides, moulded underside and short shaft. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 233; W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, pp 132-9; Church Guide, 1984, 12 pp.

Listing NGR: SE7837604013

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of St Andrew Church Guide - Date: 1984
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Read, W - Title: History of the Isle of Axholme - Date: 1858 - Page References: 132-139
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 233

National Grid Reference: SE 78378 04010

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 07:15:46.