List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1068597

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CROMFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityCrich

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Aug-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78668

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 35 SW PARISH OF CRICH CROMFORD ROAD 3/20 Church of St Mary (formerly 13-2-67 listed as "Church of St Michael")

I

Anglican Church. Medieval, with C12 core, additions and alterations in late C13, C14 and early C15, and recent C20 vestry extension. Ashlar and coursed rubble gritstone, with quoins, coped gables to nave and chancel, low pitched leaded roof to nave and aisles, and concrete tiles to chancel and south porch. Square west tower with recessed octagonal spire mid to late C14, nave with perp, clerestory, north and south aisles and a perp. south porch. Dec. chancel, with vestry to north wall. Three stage tower rising from a triple stepped moulded plinth, with angle buttresses with set-offs, terminating at bell stage. Moulded stringcourses delineate tower stages 2-light Dec belfry window with moulded string above, incorporating grotesque spouts to corners. Deep unpierced parapet with a wave moulding with trefoils, below a moulded parapet coping. Octagonal spire with lucarnes at three levels. Tower west wall with C19 2-light window below hoodmould with stops. Above, an empty niche sets below a clock face to the second stage. South aisle with Perp. 3-light flat headed west window and two south wall pointed arched windows below hoodmoulds with carved stops, one with intersecting tracery, one with reticulated tracery, both with moulded surrounds. 3-light windows with intersecting tracery to east end. Shallow stepped buttresses with set-offs between windows and to east corner. Gabled south porch rising from plain chamfered plinth, with double chamfer arch to doorway, with hoodmould. Deeply recessed flat headed 2-light windows to side walls, and stone porch seats to interior. Stepped arch to south aisle doorway with hollow and quadrant mouldinqs rising from chamfered responds with simply moulded capitals below a hood mould. Four bay nave with ashlar crenellated parapets, above a continuous stringcourse. Deeply recessed Perp. 3-light clerestory windows with four centred arched heads to lights, and one 2-light chamfer mullioned window. Sanctus bellcote above chancel arch. Three bay Dec chancel, with full height buttresses with set-offs delineating the bays, and east angle buttresses to eastend, rising from an elaborate moulded plinth. Two 3-light ogee-reticulated windows within deeply moulded surrounds to south wall. Set-offs in south wall masonry runs horizontally above pointed arched priests door to central bay and is carried up as hoodmould above pointed arched windows, continuing around along east wall, and above 5-light ogee reticulated east window. Vestry to chancel without windows, but with diagonal buttresses with set-offs. North aisle with deeply recessed Perp. 3-light east window and angle buttress to north-east corner. Three 3-light Dec. pointed arched windows with flowing tracery and hoodmoulds with stops, beneath a chamfered string course and with shallow buttresses with set-offs between windows, all rising off a shallow plinth. At the west end, an ogee-headed tomb recess in the outer wall. C20 flat roofed vestry projects to north. 2-light Dec. window to north aisle west wall. Interior: narrow tall pointed tower arch, chamfered, and with responds for 3-bay nave arcades against tower east wall. North arcade lower and earlier than south, with elementary chamfered square capitals, and scalloped respond capitals supporting asymmetrical stepped unchamfered semi-circular arches, with continuous hoodmould above. South arcade with chamfered semi-circular arches rising from moulded circular capitals, and continuous hoodmould above arches. North aisle circular piers are more substantial than those to south. Junctions between arcades and later chancel are narrow half bays with stepped pointed chamfered arches, that to north arcade lower, and running into chancel wall masonry, that to south aisle rising from a moulded impost, matching those of the chancel arch which is double chamfered, below Vestigial traces of a steeply pitched former nave roof. Within chancel moulded eaves string course with carved corbels for earlier chancel roof. Triple ogee-headed sub-cusped sedilia to chancel south wall, and also drain to former piscina. Former squint to chancel north wall, now with C17 carved cover. Above squint, a rare stone bible rest. Piscina to south aisle side wall with cusped head, and at west end of aisle, a Romanesque drum font with cable moulding. Tomb recess in north aisle wall with recumbent effigy believed to be of Sir William de Wakebridge d.1369. Chancel south wall has alabaster table tomb with the figure of a knight in armour, to Godfrey Beresford d.1513. Chancel north wall has alabaster table tomb to John Clay d.1632 and two wives. Alabaster slab set in wall, with carved full height portraits to German Pole d.1588 and his wife. Classical wall monument to German Wheatcroft d.1857 to chancel north wall, and an inscription board nearby seemingly assocated with the Clay Monument. C.14 chancel screen, with 3-light side bays, cusped headings to lights, and pierced panel to base. Two benches with poppy heads to end against chancel arch wall.

Listing NGR: SK3480154658

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 34801 54660

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 02:59:59.