List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WINDY BANK

List entry Number: 1068536

Location

WINDY BANK, OLD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RochdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213343

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 91 NW LITTLEBOROUGH BLACKSTONE EDGE OLD ROAD (south side)

1/11 Windy Bank (formerly listed as Windy Bank 2/1/67 Farmhouse)

G.V. II*

House. "RL 1611" (Robert Lightowlers) and "IBI 1635" (John Butterworth) on inscribed stones but incorporating a timber- framed structure possibly of early C16 origin. Hammer- dressed stone with graduated stone slate roof. 3-unit hearth-passage plan with wing to rear. Quoins and projecting plinth. 4-bay elevation, the door in bay 2 with C19 surround. 3, 2, 6 and 6-light double-chamfered mullion windows with hoodmoulds. 3, 3, 6 and 6-light similar on the first floor. 3 unequal coped gables with finials. Gargoyles. Ridge and gable chimney stacks. Bay 1 was rebuilt at a later date than the rest of the house, the early timber-framed structure having been removed rather than incorporated within the new stonework. The rear wing (1611) predates the stonework of the main range (1635 and later) and was formerly a free-standing single-cell house before being linked to the main range in mid C17. It has a door (now window) with 4-centred arch lintel, various 2, 3, 4 and 5-light double-chamfered mullion windows with hoodmoulds, a C20 porch and a C20 lean-to garage which obscures a gable chimney stack. Rear of main range partly obscured by C19 extension. Interior: arched and moulded fire surrounds to parlour and room above, with recessed and enriched spandrels. Chamfered beams with stepped stops. Remnants of former timber-framed structure include 2 collar and tie-beam roof trusses which are diagonally braced to posts, and a king-post roof truss over the hall which was probably open to the roof. All the tie-beams are cambered. The 1611 wing retains a bread oven within the gable stack, a roof truss with diagonal struts, and an original boarded door. Apart from a distinctive facade the house incorporates several important features including the rare survival of parts of a timber-framed open-hall-house and an early single-cell house. H. Fishwick, History of Rochdale, 1889.

Listing NGR: SD9445016659

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Fishwick, H - Title: History of Rochdale - Date: 1889

National Grid Reference: SD 94450 16659

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 11:39:25.