List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1068518

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, LODGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RochdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213376

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 91 NW LITTLEBOROUGH LODGE STREET (east side)

1/41 Church of the 2/1/67 Holy Trinity

G.V. II Church. Rebuilt 1818-1820 by Thomas Taylor of Leeds with chancel 1889 by Crowther. Dressed stone and ashlar with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with central west tower and comparatively large chancel. 5-bay nave has weathered plinth and castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered gableted buttress incorporating a gargoyle and a 3-light window with interlaced tracery. The tower is flanked by stair bays; it has 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, a door at ground level, moulded bands, arched openings on the second and third stages, a coped parapet incorporating gabled clock faces, corner pinnacles and a steeple with lucarnes. The 3- bay chancel is in an accomplished Perpendicular style having 3-light windows, a priest's door, buttresses with crocketed pinnacles and a 7-light east window. The roof is steeper and has a higher ridge-line than that of the nave. Interior: gallery on cast-iron columns, arch-braced roof trusses and a heavily moulded chancel arch. The chancel is lined with red sandstone and has double-hammer-beam roof trusses with angelic minstrels as well as a piscina and sedilia. Timber fittings and stained glass.

Listing NGR: SD9388816416

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 93888 16416

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 01:00:00.