List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1068481

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, FIRS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213496

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEIGH

1480/1/28 FIRS LANE 27-JUL-1987 Westleigh (North side) Church of St Peter

II* Church. 1880-1. By Paley and Austin. Brick with red sandstone dressings and slate roof. Nave and chancel separated by a central tower. Aisle and vestry on north side only; porch on south. 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with low weathered buttresses, continuous sill band and 2-light flat- headed windows, some paired, with Decorated tracery and brick hoodmoulds. Gabled porch with statue niche above arched doorway. Coped gables. Bold tower with pyramidal roof has heavy weathered buttresses, a 3-light transomed window, flat-headed belfry openings and an ashlar frieze below the parapet. 4 and 5-light transomed east and west windows. Lean-to aisle roof but no clerestory lights. INTERIOR: circular columns with moulded capitals and bases support moulded brick arches in the north arcade. Heavily moulded brick responds support the tower arches and a ribbed quadripartite crossing vault. King-post roof trusses with curved wind braces to nave and hammer-beam roof trusses to chancel. Alabaster pulpit said to have come from Military Chapel of Manchester Cathedral. Stone font and reredos. Timber fittings. Stained glass. One of Paley and Austin's more radical and consequently impressive designs.



Listing NGR: SD6442800327

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 64428 00327

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 09:17:09.