List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1068475

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MARKET STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213476

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ATHERTON MARKET STREET SD 60 SE (north side) 2/8 Church of St John the Baptist (formerly listed as church of 15/7/66 St John Market Place) G.V. II Church. 1879. By Paley and Austin. Dressed stone, ashlar dressings and clay tile roof. Nave, clerestory and aisles with south-west tower; chancel flanked by side chapel and 2- storey vestry. Gothic Revival in Decorated style. 5-bay nave and 2-bay chancel all under a continuous roof. The aisles have weathered buttresses, 4-light windows with Decorated tracery and hoodmoulds on the south and 3-light flat-headed windows on the north. Square clerestory lights. The chancel has a 6-light transomed window above fleuron motifs in a chequered panel. The buttress to its right includes an enriched statue niche. 2-storey organ chamber and vestry with octagonal corner turret. 7-light west window. Coped gables and eaves parapet. The monumental 4- stage castellated tower stands outside the south aisle. It has octagonal piers at each corner which rise as conically roofed pinnacles, a 4-light window above the door, clock faces on the third stage and 3-light belfry openings below a statue in canopied niche. Interior: clustered columns with moulded capitals and bases support a double-chamfered nave arcade. The whole is faced in ashlar. Hammer-beam roof trusses. Sedilia and piscina. Timberwork includes stalls, pews, organ casing and intricately carved choir screen. Alabaster font and stone pulpit. Stained glass; east window Kempe, 1896. An imposing building which exhibits fine craftsmanship both inside and out.

Listing NGR: SD6759503138

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 67595 03138

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:38:30.