List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BISPHAM HALL

List entry Number: 1068434

Location

BISPHAM HALL, CRANK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213588

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BILLINGE-WITH-WINSTANLEY CRANK ROAD SD 50 SW (west side) 8/31 Bispham Hall 23.8.66 - II* Large house. 1573 with later extensions. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings, roof now gone (1986). 3 storeys, 5 gabled bays, the 2nd and 4th bays project, the 1st and 5th bays project further and are wider. Base, quoins and some remaining coping. Most windows have double-chamfered mullions, probably restorations, and label moulds; most windows of 5 lights with transom. Ground floor has blocked window to 2nd bay, inner returns of 1st, 2nd and 5th bays have 4-light ovolo-mullioned blind windows with painted glazing. 1st floor has 4-light window to 4th bay and ovolo- mullioned blind windows to inner returns of 1st, 2nd and 5th bays. 2nd floor windows have no transoms, apart from 4-light window to 4th bay. Round-headed entrance has impost blocks, now blocked, arms under label mould above. Gable to 5th bay has round feature in coping. Left return has projecting gabled bay with canted projecting centre originally with hipped roof and rainwater head dated 1727. Continuous label moulds to windows, those to ground floor with double- chamfered mullions of 2 lights with transom those to 1st floor similar, with ovolo mullions, 2nd floor windows are ovolo-mullioned but have no transoms. Projecting lateral stack to right. Right return has projecting lateral stack with blocked fire windows and later lean-to shed with crow- stepped gable to front. Projecting gabled bay has ovolo- mullioned windows, as has extension to right. Rear has later extensions and a truncated stack, some mullioned windows and round-headed opening. Interior not inspected, upper storeys destroyed by fire; Tudor-headed doorway visible on 2nd floor; said to have large fireplaces, staircase with turned balusters has probably not survived. Although extensively damaged, the hall remains one of the most complete survivals from the C16 in the historic county of Lancashire.

Listing NGR: SD5245502493

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 52346 02469

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 11:02:40.