List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

List entry Number: 1068396

Location

CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, BAGOT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213710

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 38 NE BAGOT STREET L15

7/106 Church of Saint Bridget

28.6.52 G.V. II*

Church. 1872. E. A. Heffer. Common brick with red brick and stone dressings, red and blue brick banding and slate roof. 9-bay nave with lean-to aisles, round chancel apse, north west tower and narthex. Windows are round-headed with recessed reveals. Nave and aisles have windows between flat buttresses with corbel tables above; bracketed eaves. 5-stage tower has narrow lights. Cornice over lowest stage and clasping pilasters above. Top stage has round-headed, louvred bell openings and sill courses, cornice and pyramidal roof. West front has narthex with parapet, gabled round-headed entrance with flanking narrow lights; gable apex has roundel with bust of Christ. 3 windows and top roundel over. Apse has sill band and 2 windows. Gates to narthex and inner tripartite window with flat pilasters and pedimental panel over. Interior: Stucco. Arcades on round scagliola columns with alternate oak and acanthus capitals. Clerestory windows in applied arcade. Richly ornamented coffered ceiling. Aisles have coffered half-tunnel vaults. Western bay of nave has choir stalls and organ to north aisle. Apse has bench all round, cornice and pilasters between windows. Wooden altar set in middle of marble floor. Mosaic reredos of Last Supper by Salviati. Pulpit and altar of different coloured marble. A dignified and impressive evocation of an Italianate basilica.

Listing NGR: SJ3798289273

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 37982 89273

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 10:57:55.