List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RAILINGS, PLINTH WALLS, GATES, PIERS AND STEPS AT CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1068380

Location

RAILINGS, PLINTH WALLS, GATES, PIERS AND STEPS AT CHURCH OF ST LUKE, BERRY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213762

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

392/56/150 BERRY STREET 27-AUG-02 RAILINGS, PLINTH WALLS, GATES, PIERS AND STEPS AT CHURCH OF ST LUKE (Formerly listed as: BERRY STREET CHURCH OF ST LUKE WITH RAILINGS, PLINTH WALLS, GATES, PIERS AND STEPS)

GV II*



Railings, plinth walls, gates, piers and steps on Leece Street, Bold Place and Roscoe Street, returning to flanking steps fronting St. Luke's Church on Berry Street. Ashlar sandstone and cast iron. 1829-1833, to designs by John Foster junior. PLAN: Rectangular enclosure on sloping site formed by cast iron railings set on ramped plinth walls with corner and intermediate piers and gateposts, and incorporating gateways with cast iron gates and flights of ashlar stone steps with cast-iron handrails and balusters. EXTERIOR: The railings and associated walls, piers and gates enclose a rectangular garden to the east of Berry Street which embraces the majority of the present church structure. There are 2 entrances to the north and south sides, one to the centre of the enclosure railings which give access to level ground within, and one to the eastern ends, at low points of the sloping site, which give access to the enclosed area by means of flights of stone steps with plain cast-iron handrails and balusters. The original cast iron railings have decorative heads and twin mid-rails, and are cusped below the top rail. They extend from the central doorways eastwards, and along the eastern end. There are replacement C20 spear-headed railings to the west of the central doorways which return to the gateways to either side of the church. The octagonal piers have panelled facets and crocketed spire heads. HISTORY: When first completed, the church had a solid masonry enclosure wall, pierced by pointed arched doorways. The walling was replaced by the present enclosure, designed by John Foster junior as part of his adaptation of his father's original designs.

St. Luke's Church together with the surrounding enclosure walling, railings, steps, piers and gates (q.v.) which define its setting were designed to serve as the church of the Corporation of Liverpool by John Foster of Liverpool and later by his son John Foster junior. Despite severe damage during World War II, the church and its railed enclosure remain an outstandingly rich example of early C19 ecclesiastical Perpendicular Gothic architecture, and an architectural, historical and historic townscape ensemble of monumental significance at the heart of the city of Liverpool.

Listing NGR: SJ3531789861

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 35317 89861

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 12:49:59.