List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1068080

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TamesideMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212474

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HYDE CHURCH STREET SJ 99 SW (south-east side) Hyde 6/18 Church of 1.10.b5 St. George G.V. II Church. 1831-2 by T. and C. Atkinson for the Church Commissioners. Watershot dressed stone with slate roof. 3- sided gallery plan with a central west tower. 7-bay aisles under the same roof as the nave and having a stone plinth, coped parapet and a tall window with 4-centred arch and hoodmould. The corners, as well as those of the small chancel bay have octagonal piers and bold pinnacles. The 5- light east window has rectilinear tracery. The south aisle has a wall mounted sundial. Imposing 3-stage tower with 4- centred arch door, 4-light west window, clock faces, transomed 2-light belfry window, coped parapet and octagonal corner columns with pinnacles. Similar doorways flank the tower on either side giving access to the galleries.

Interior: altered in 1885 when the central pulpit was removed, a pierced gallery rail and new seats installed and the organ relocated. At the same time the tall arcade columns which carry the gallery half way up were remodelled to be circular rather than octagonal. They have moulded bases, enriched octagonal capitals and carry 4-centred arches. Coved plaster ceiling and stained glass. The organ by S. Renn (1838) is in temporary storage.



Listing NGR: SJ9486394422

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 94863 94422

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 03:45:15.