List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DUKINFIELD OLD CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1068077

Location

DUKINFIELD OLD CHAPEL, OLD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TamesideMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Feb-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212465

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be up-graded:-

DUKINFIELD OLD ROAD SJ 99 NW (east side) 3/9 Dukinfield Old Chapel (formerly listed under 17/12/70 Chapel Hill) GV II*

------------------------------------

DUKINFIELD OLD ROAD SJ 99 NW (east side) 3/9 Dukinfield Old Chapel (formerly listed 17.12.70 under Chapel Hill)

G.V. II

Unitarian chapel. 1840-1, replacing an earlier building of 1707.ByR. Tattersall. Ashlar with slate roof. Cruciform plan but with 3-sided gallery, aisles and an east organ. Early C14 style. West doorway beneath a 5-light window with geometric tracery. The gable is flanked by large octagonal pinnacles which are buttressed at the lower stages. Small stair wings to either side. The transepts have 3 lancet windows, raked coped gables with kneelers and clasping buttresses. 3 bays to either side of the transepts have flat buttresses, lancet aisle windows with hoodmoulds and carved stops and lancet clerestory windows flanked by smaller blind lancets. Interior: quatrefoil piers with cast iron cores support galleries as well as the nave arcade. Lofty nave and transepts have quadripartite vaulting. Timberwork includes an elevated central pulpit. Wall plaques. Stained glass by Comere and Capronnier, and Morris of various dates. The north transept window (Morris) dep icts George, David and Jonathan.



Listing NGR: SJ9435997963

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 94359 97963

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 03:53:48.