List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1068071

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OldhamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212451

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The enry for:- SD 90 SE LEES WEST STREET (north side) 8/47 Church of St Thomas II The grade shall be amended to read :- Grade II*

------------------------------------

SD 90 SE LEES WEST STREET (north side) 8/47 Church of 22/8/67 St. Thomas - II Church. 1848. By E.H. Shellard for the Church Commissioners with tower added in 1855, organ chamber added 1885 and minor improvements 1889. Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, west tower and chancel flanked by vestry and organ chamber. Perpendicular Gothic revival. 6- bay nave and 2-bay chancel with continuous sill band and castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered buttress topped by a crocketed pinnacle and a 2-light window below hoodmould with carved stops. Porch in bay 2 bears date 1848 above arched door. 4-light east window. 4-stage castellated west tower with 4-centred arch door, 4-light west window, clock faces, 3-light belfry openings and diagonal buttresses rising into crocketed pinnacles. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade with octagonal columns. Hammer-beam roof trusses spring from carved head corbels. No clerestory but dormer windows. West gallery with blind-arcaded parapet. Poppyhead pews, carved pulpit, dado panelling, and canopied choir stalls by Shaw of Uppermill. Carved stone reredos and sanctuary panelling. Stained glass, much by Capronnier, 1874-98.

Listing NGR: SD9528604454

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 95286 04454

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 04:12:56.